Spooktober XXVIII (continuation of the last one)

Rescue

"Cap, any sign?" Rhodey called into the comms, his voice laced with unhidden fear. His best friend and Penny had been missing for 48 hours now and their hope was leaving them as they passed the 24 hour mark of continuous searching.

None of them had slept the entire time and unfortunately, not everyone was as well adapted to staying up for long periods of time as the people they were looking for.

If only Tony were actually here, Rhodey thought miserable, he would've been able to find Penny in a matter of hours.

He quickly backtracked, knowing that if Tony was there with them, looking for Penny, there would be no chance of them getting any sense out of him. He'd be driven mad with worry. Maybe it was better they'd been taken together.

"No sign from my area. Barton?" Steve replied, his giddy optimism severely lacking.

"Umm no, not that I can see." Clint's voice echoed through the War Ma- Iron Patriot suit. Damn Tony and his stupid nicknames, War Machine had implanted itself firmly in Rhodey's vocabulary despite the government strictly deciding to change the name.

Poor Clint sounded exhausted. He'd been on a mission for the duration of the previous night and had come home to the search party then heading out. After a quick explanation of where they were going, they decided to let him rest. However, with a signature roll of his eyes, Clint picked up his bow from where he had just placed it down, and walked out the door with them, without so much as another word.

Rhodey had a lot of respect for Clint. He simply did what had to be done, it was his job, and he treated as such. Sure he complained a lot at home but when it came down to something as serious as family, he was always the first out the door.

He could hear a yawn being stifled on the other side, presuming it was coming from Clint, and his respect just grew for the man upon realising it was his 48th consecutive hour awake. Possibly more depending on how much sleep he'd managed to get on said previous mission.

"Hey boys?" Nat called, her voice coated in something that Rhodey couldn't quite place.

It seemed hopeful but doubtful at the same time.

Rhodey, Clint, Steve, Bruce, Thor, Sam and Bucky all replied immediate with different variations of yes.

"I see something. Meet me here." She stated and then logged off. Natasha had a zero tolerance policy for bullshit and wanted her full focus for what she was dealing with. She couldn't afford to be distracted by meaningless conversations on the comms.

The rest immediately flew/walked over, depending on their preferred method of travel, nerves shaking their entire bodies, exhaustion replaced with hope and desperation.

They arrived at a heavy duty door, previously insanely guarded proved by the numerous bodies laying in uncomfortable positions on the ground, the hydra symbol clear on their uniform.

Natasha stood over one, breaking his neck with a quick tug of the flexible wire that she had installed into her suit.

Everyone kinda just stood in awe of the woman for a bit but quickly snapped out of their trance at the click of her fingers.

"Are we just standing there or...?" She snapped, signalling Rhodey and Bucky to use their metal appliances to open the door.

Mumbling quick apologies, they set about prising the door open, the combined strength of the gold titanium alloy suit and vibranium quickly getting the job done.

The team burst in and promptly set about scanning the area, ensuring no rock left unturned.

They had been there mere minutes when yells of pain echoed throughout the warehouse.