CHAPTER 18

Hello, how are you doing? I'm very excited about this chapter and the reason is because one of our favorite character in the novel has accepted to do a interview with me. So this chapter was supposed to be the continuation of the last chapter but Erica called me recently and agreed to participate in the interview. If you are not interested in interacting with Erica you can skip the interview to the next chapter. So let us begin "Interview With The City„ and trust me a lot of questions would be answered as I don't give up if my curiosity is not quenched. This interview also explains how Erica met Brooks(Clarissa's father), her college lecturer and crush and how she became infatuated with him and hopefully how Clarissa came about.

INTERVIEWER: Hello to you all and welcome to my show," Interview with the city". Today we are going to be having an interview with someone well known to you, Erica. Can we see you, Erica?
ERICA: As you all know, I am Erica Gardener. I'm 26 years old almost 27 though. I was quite pessimistic when Author Raregold asked for permission to publish our story online. I directly told her; 'no one is going to read my life story' and I sincerely believed that till she called me recently and explained that she already has readers. I asked her for the number of her reads but she refused to tell me. She explained to me that is not the number that counts but the sincerity of those who find time to read the story. I can't really explain how I felt when I heard her words. I just wanted to tell you all thanks for proving me wrong, thanks for commenting, thanks for voting and thanks for all your support. Also, I wanted to reassure you that Raregold has been delivering all your supports and votes to us.
INTERVIEWER: (Chuckles) I would say that is too long for an introduction.
(Erica giggles)
ERICA: I just couldn't keep them in.
INTERVIEWER: Ok, let us move over to our first question for the day. In the story, it was explained that you knew Clarissa wasn't really accepting of Rick. How did you know.
ERICA: Well, Clarissa is the type of person to give you all or none. I noticed she didn't like been around Rick that much. Also, her smiles to him are always fake.
INTERVIEWER: How did you know that her smiles were fake?
ERICA: I carried her for nine months...no... ten months in my womb and raised her singlehandedly. I witnessed her crawling, doodling, her baby steps, her first words, her first day at nursery and till now.
INTERVIEWER: Awwwn! Our next question for the day says, Do you still think of Rick?
ERICA: No, I rarely do
INTERVIEWER: Over to our next question. This is a little bit more personal. Can you tell us about Brooks?
(A brief pause)
ERICA: It's a very long story.
INTERVIEWER: Well, I have all day to listen.
ERICA: (She sighs slightly) I attended Alpha and Luna College, the most prestigious college then at the state my family formerly were. I was in my final year at college when I met him...
INTERVIEWER: Sorry for cutting you off but how old were you then?
ERICA: I was 18 years old. He was the Linguistic lecturer for all final year student. He was very young infact rumours had it that he was just 24 and at such, most students hated him but something attracted me to him,the self confidence exuding from his masculinity, I guess. As the brightest student I had always been, he quickly noticed me. Soon, I started to prepare ahead for his classes so as to tackle him with a lots of difficult questions and he found it amusing to give me a reply to them. With time we became friends on his own side because by then I had a crush on him. We all hang out with our friends, don't we? Well in our case hanging out became something more and...
INTERVIEWER: It's ok if you are not comfortable talking about it.
(Erica flashes her a nervous but bright smile as an expression of 'thanks for pulling me out of that situation')
INTERVIEWER: You are welcome. The next question says, how did you find out you were pregnant?
ERICA: I just completed a series of tests when I conceived so I did not take all the morning sickness to mind as I thought it was as a result of stress but after four weeks, there was no improvement I became seriously worried likewise my parents. My appetite was at it's lowest peak and my mood at it's worst. I came home to get a proper hospital checkup and boom! (She chuckles awkwardly)
INTERVIEWER What was your reaction when you found out you were to be an expecting mother?
ERICA: I was scared, devastated nervous and disappointed all at the same time.
INTERVIEWER: Ooh, I can't imagine how you must have felt. What were your parents reaction to the news.
ERICA: They behaved okay with it but they weren't. I could feel my dad's disappointed mood. My mum was all smiles but sometimes I see her thinking. I once eavesdropped on their discussion. They blamed themselves for my pregnancy. They felt it was their fault but it wasn't their fault that their daughter had premarital affairs but they refused to see it. (A slight sniffle)
INTERVIEWER: Did you tell Brooks you were expecting a baby?
ERICA: Yes, I did.
INTERVIEWER: What was his response?
ERICA: He first denied been the father of the foetus then he denied ever having an intercourse with me and at some stage, he denied ever knowing me.
INTERVIEWER: How did this make you feel.
ERICA: Shocked, I guess. The Brooks I thought I knew was not like that. We had big dreams such as me finishing college, moving in with him and getting a job, getting married and all but they all crashed down when he denied me.
INTERVIEWER: He is a jerk!!!
ERICA: (Laughs)Yeah, I agree. He is a big senseless jerk.
INTERVIEWER: If you see Brooks, is there anything you would like to say to him?
ERICA:(Smiles) Yes, there is. I would love to tell him just a simple word; thanks. Thanks for giving me such a brilliant, smart, pretty and cute daughter all to myself.
INTERVIEWER: OK. If I see him on the streets one day, I would be sure to deliver that.
ERICA:(Laughs)How are you going to see him on the streets?
INTERVIEWER: I don't know how it is gonna happen but it surely will. (Chuckles)
ERICA: If you say so.
INTERVIEWER: OK, the next question is just for fun. Who would you choose out of Alvin and Purple Me?
ERICA: Are you seriously asking me that? You should know the answer.
INTERVIEWER: (Shakes her head dramatically) Don't tell me it is who I think it is.
ERICA: Of course it is. I would choose Purple Me over and over again...(whispers) but don't tell Alvin that.
(INTERVIEWER and ERICA laughs)
INTERVIEWER: So this is the last question for today. It's recent and personal and I guess our readers are interested in knowing. Are you ready?
ERICA: Yeah, I guess?(Takes a deep breath)Bring it on!
INTERVIEWER: How exactly did you feel when Clarissa cut the video call?
(Silence)
ERICA: (Holds her breath) Heartbroken! (Releases her breath) I don't know if anyone understands the feeling when your old world refuses to usher in your new world. That sort of feeling came down on me in a rush. I was so scared of that outcome that is why I didn't tell Clarissa about our relationship from the beginning.
INTERVIEWER: OK, that brings us close to the end of this episode of 'Interview with the city. Thanks for gracing my show today with your presence.
ERICA: It is a pleasure.
INTERVIEWER: And to my audience, thanks for watching this episode. If your curiosity has not been satisfied with this interview, feel free to ask questions in the comment box that you would like Erica to give answers to and hopefully she will accept the invitation right, Erica?
ERICA: If my schedule allows it.
INTERVIEWER: See you later in my next episode. That's all for "Interview with the city". Bye!! (Stands up from the seat)
INTERVIEWER: Just wanted to let you know that if I come across Alvin, I would tell him that you chose Purple Me over him.
ERICA: No, you wouldn't dare. If you do, I would not accept your request for an interview the next time.
INTERVIEWER: (Laughs) Are you threatening me?
ERICA: (Chuckles) What do you think?
(Interviewer shakes head, about to leave)
ERICA: Where do you think you are going? The camera is still rolling.
(Interviewer looks back in shock)
INTERVIEWER: (She faces the cameraman) Is the camera still rolling?
(Cameraman nods)
INTERVIEWER: OMG!! This is the second time this is happening! When I say bye, you are supposed to switch the camera off immediately. Now switch it off!!

This chapter is dedicated to MabelOsagiede for all the supports I've received. Thanks a lot, they really mean a lot to me in ways I can't express.

How did you all enjoy the interview?

How are you all enjoying the story?

Whose curiosity was satisfied?

Whose curiosity has not been satisfied?If your curiosity has not been satisfied yet, pinpoint your area of interest so that another interview with Erica can be conducted hopefully if she agrees😁

Who would you like an interview with next? Alvin? Clarissa? May? Dave? Adrian? Justin? George? Yvonne? Choose your choice🤗

Who is excited about the next chapter where we will see the continuation of Clarissa's reaction to her mother's relationship?