A Misty Morning | 13

In the world of ghosts, countless human necessities proved to be pointless in the bodies of the dead. Breathing, eating — something that was once considered inseparable to our species slowly transition into nothing more than a simple habit that couldn't be shrugged off. In the eyes of a ghost, these human acts were now just a mere past; a slither of your mortal memories, but it was what made you you

Sleeping was one of them, Midoriya could never get used to the constant spike of energy he would get every time he felt like he was finally going to get some shut-eye. A bait that made him fall to his demise every single time, without fail. The boy thought the feeling would be familiar by now, after all these dreary nights. 

The starting few days, it was easy enough to entertain himself by going around town discovering the secrets of the dark. But it was fast to turn dull when every time it was either drunk people on the streets and alleyways or some instances robberies that unfortunately Midoriya had to turn a blind eye to, it was a sad reality he had to face as a lowly ghost. 

I rather stay inside than see all of that. Midoriya shook his head, dispersing his irrational thoughts. Crickets were never the louder chirping into the night, Midoriya caught himself glancing at Ahane sleeping quite peacefully on the bed. It was a weird sight, he didn't know Ahane could make such a relaxing and even gentle expression when in the daytime a resting bitch face was all that greeted him.

The boy sighed in boredom, what do ghosts usually do anyway? While there is a fun activity on his to-do list — exploring the insides of Ahane's house — though he wasn't sure if it was the greatest idea. Midoriya could never invade someone's privacy like that, it's only natural to respect Ahane and his boundaries. 

The night was young, but Midoriya's patience was already running out bit by bit. He skimmed through Ahane's room, his eyes particularly eyeing a certain bookshelf filled with books — "Quirk Study". Midoriya was dying to read the material, but anyone knows the attempt would just make his hand go through the books, it was no use trying.

Or is it?

Midoriya lifted up his hand, eyes squinting at the book with all his concentration focused on it. It was a dumb idea, but why not entertain himself with the idea of it? It was better than staring at the ceiling all night long. Midoriya recalled reading a comic book when he was young, the contents stated that some ghosts have telekinesis, and even though the chances were slim, maybe, just maybe, he possesses the power to move items with his mind.

Telekinesis was a mental quirk, he had seen bits and pieces of recordings showcasing pro heroes with the said quirk. They did it with such ease, it was hard to figure out exactly the mechanism of the quirk. Perhaps the quirk would eventually unfold itself if he just used enough mental energy. That was what he hoped.

....

It felt like hours had passed, and it indeed had. Midoriya stared intently at the books, it was turning more like a staring contest now. He felt like he had used every method that existed to summon his inner telekinesis — blurting out random spells, making weird hand motions, every single trick in the book gave him no reaction, only eerie silence that he was glad no one was there to experience. 

Midoriya had looked at the row of books for such a long period of time, each and every title of the books were engraved in his mind; each colour of the books, what font the titles were, how neat every book lined up with each other, except this one book that was slightly out of place. Everything was starting to merge with each other, turning into an abomination of blurs.

...hold on a second.

Out of place? Midoriya blinked, his inner dialogue cut him off as he went closer to inspect the literature. It was no more than an inch, you could blame it on Ahane, maybe he accidentally disturbed the neat lining of the books. Or, it could be Midoriya that did that, his so-called telekinesis, it had manifested out of thin air.