A Deal | 18

The day has come.

Lustrous colours bombarded Midoriya's vision - the surroundings were crowded with trees decorated beautifully with apricot leaves, wavering in the autumn wind. Their movement in sync with each and every sway, they indulged themselves in the morning breeze until halted by the snapping of the petiole; ending this dance with a graceful descent.

This scenery though alluring, should be an everyday view for Midoriya when accompanying Ahane to school. So why the need to give a national geographic level commentary to this picturesque scene before him?

The answer was easy - this particular destination that polluted the air with dread. 

Every crunch of the fallen leaves served as an internal alarm to the ghost - they were nearing the Shiyugo estate. Midoriya's fidgety gaze became more frequent with each step, exchanging anxious glances with Ahane. 

"You best keep your distance from that house, I can't guarantee your safety if you step through those gates." Ahane's tone was stern, a telltale sign of the seriousness of the situation.

In return, Midoriya gave a firm nod, or he would hope so. But he knew he had to pull himself together, for the sake of Ahane. "I won't be far off, stay safe, Ahane-kun." He watched as Ahane disappeared further beyond the gates without a word or goodbye. The morning fog engulfed him as he entered the lion's den. 

"I hope nothing bad happens." A whisper of prayer was all he could provide before making his departure.

_____________________

Silence couldn't be any louder with Midoriya's absence, the brief and sudden whispers of gust guided Ahane's hand into the pocket of his coat. The cold touch of metal was better than this wretched familiarity.

"Sorry to bring you back here, wouldn't know what I'd do without you here." A pocket watch in hand, seemingly stuck in time despite having no flaws. A mere decoration that serves no purpose other than sweet memories.

Ahane stared at the entrance of the estate, standing tall with pride. 

This is our family's blessing. display it with pride and honour!

He entered the place with neither honour nor pride. After all, this place held no significance to Ahane, it was just a lonesome estate.

"Dear guest, allow me to guide you to the sensei." A lady dressed in a kimono bowed her head, leading the way. She definitely knew who he was, back then they would meet almost every day. Yet now only an indifferent look greeted him, Ahane had already been erased from this household, and he was more than content to keep it that way.

The long narrow hallways appeared ever-ending, the illusion of it shrinking little by little tugged at Ahane's nerves. He lingered his gaze on the lady guiding him, gliding through the hall with familiarity. Almost like a ghost. He kept the ironic comment to himself, but a hum escaped nevertheless. 

"..." It was faint and momentary, Ahane almost wanted to laugh out loud to spite her. The lady's glare-like side eye was more than enough to answer his internal thoughts. Nothing has changed, it seems.

Quiet.

Clean.

Soulless.

The wooden floor creaked with every step, and the stillness of the air couldn't be more suffocating, only a place like the Shiyugo estate would make breathing feel like a sin. Same old, same old. The slide of the door broke the silence, the lady stepped aside with a welcoming bow. 

"I see you've finally heeded my request, Tsukiro." 

White eyes identical to his, the head of the family was stoic as ever, his presence washed over the room; the familiar walls beckoned Ahane to sit down. "What's the price." Formalities were shunned out of the way, even one more extra second in this room made him nauseous.