Chapter 6

'We should go down there right now and rip him out of his robes.'

"You'll scare Ron." Anya pointed out. "And in the street like this? You'll attract attention."

Sirius bared his teeth and growled.

"This requires a woman's touch." Anya said, as she flipped her hair back in a rather flamboyantly feminine gesture.

Sirius was so taken aback he cast a look up at her.

She leaned over the side of the railing and looked down at Ron again.

She regretted not coming here in disguise: if she had been wearing one, she would be able to go right up to them with no fear of Harry becoming angry with her for being here.

As she focused in on Ron, his thoughts began to flow into her head.

'Don't die on me, Scabbers. We'll get your medicine soon enough.'

The rat's name was Scabbers, she recalled.

She felt a strong sense of pity for him: He seemed to deeply care about that rat.

He had no idea what the creature in his robes was really thinking.

'I can't sleep, I can't eat. Sirius... I can't let him find me.'

Too late for that, Anya thought grimly, as the trio began to make their way up the stairs.

She pulled back and led Sirius back into the crowd as the three of them reached the top of the stairs.

She hid herself behind a sign on the side of the street and pretended to be fastening Sirius collar as the three had a brief conversation.

"I need to go get Scabbers his tonic." Ron was saying.

"I have some birthday money left over." The girl, who Anya was sure what Hermione Granger was saying, as she checked her purse. "I could buy a gift for myself."

"How about a nice book?" Anya giggled.

Sirius raised his paw and pressed against her face.

"No, I'd like an animal." Hermione said earnestly. "I was thinking about getting an owl... Harry has Hedwig and you have Errol."

'And he has that filthy rat in his robe pocket.' Sirius growled.

"Be patient." Anya stressed. "Ron's going to get medical supplies for him. We'll corner him there."

The three of them moved on to their next destination, and Anya followed behind them at a distance.

'Have you done this before?' Sirius asked curiously, as she nonchalantly made her way down the street. 'You look like a professional.'

Anya ignored him as the three entered a shop filled with owls and other animals of all shapes and sizes.

Anya stopped at the outside of the door and grimaced.

"Well, Sirius." She said. "You would fit right in."

He let out a bark that sounded shockingly like a laugh.

Although Ron had taken out Scabbers and placed him on the table, Harry was with him.

She would have no better chance of reaching the Rat and accomplishing Operation Ratcatcher, but she would have no way of escaping Harry's questions.

'That is no rat.'

Anya found herself moving with almost impossible speed: The cat leapt up onto the counter, sending the rat sprawling to the ground.