Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Anya felt her trepidation about being surrounded by wizards melt away as she entered the Quidditch Stadium.

She had to shut her mind off from the reading too many minds at once, but once she did she found the sheer excitement and energy of the stadium to be intoxicating.

"So there are three kinds of balls, seven players, two teams" She chattered happily to Harry as they made their way into the top box.

When the Minister of Magic stopped to chat with them, she tried her best to make a good first impression.

"So you are Miss Anya Forger." Fudge said, giving her an intrigued look. "A muggle, are you?"

"Yes sir." She said politely. "I won't be able to vote for you!"

He looked taken aback for a second, and then laughed.

"You're a funny one." He said. "Harry, my boy, I hope you treat her well."

"I will, sir." He said.

Anya's gaze drifted over the Top Box.

Living with her parents for so long had given her a tendency to size up a room whenever she stepped inside.

She knew from experience that the rich and powerful often left their deepest secrets out in the open for any curious mind reader to seize ahold of.

She stumbled across one almost immediately.

Sitting down, facing away from them, were two people.

A House-Elf, and a person.

The person was completely invisible: Anya only realized he was there because the Elf was anxiously thinking about how unfortunate it would be if he was discovered.

Harry turned to see where she was looking at let out a gasp of surprise.

"Dobby!"

The elf turned.

It wasn't Dobby, but a female Elf.

They spoke for a bit, but then the subject of the empty seat next to her came up.

"Winky... is saving Master a seat." Winky said, her voice nervous.

Anya caught on immediately.

Barty Crouch was not coming.

But his son, who was supposed to be dead, would be.

She didn't know all of the details, but she understood enough.

In one fluid motion she raised her hand, grabbed the invisibility cloak, and ripped it off.

The entire Top Box let out an audible gasp and turned their way, as Anya relinquished hold of the cloak, as if in very deep surprise.

Winky screamed and got to her feet, trying desperately to think of a cover story.

"What is the meaning of this?" Fudge thundered, bearing down on them at once. "You're Barty's Son!"

The Top Box was in Chaos.

The crowd below looked up at them as the House Elf, crying and wailing, through herself in front of the other wizards attempting to restrain Barty Crouch Jr.

He sat there, smiling, blissfully unaware, as he was hauled away, likely to be interrogated by Ministry Wizards.

Anya wasn't sure whether she had done a good thing or not.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were anxiously discussing the situation, but she said nothing.

She clenched her legs with her hands and wondered why she couldn't just keep to herself and enjoy Harry's company.