1. Nerves

[ ACT ONE ]

i. Nerves

The Black Lake, Scotland --1994

I remember it like yesterday. The way my palms were coated with a thin blanket of sweat and my fingers pinched my skin; a nervous habit. We were on our way to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and wizardry. The castle was much bigger than I anticipated and I felt my heart flutter anxiously.

Maxim had attempted to calm me down but no matter what he said, I couldn't shake an unknown feeling off my shoulders. Hogwarts looked familiar, like I had seen it somewhere in a dream. But that was impossible. I have never left Ukraine before then.

If I could go back in time, I used to wonder if I would change anything. There's one thing I haven't forgotten about since it occurred. Their eyes, the way the color diminished from their orbs and his body fell lifeless. I remember the comforting smile he sent me before slipping away from my grasp.

Now I know I would change that outcome. I would go back to that fateful day and I would kill her sooner. I would torture her until that malicious smile ate her alive and her aching screams echoed throughout the wide halls. Though, that would not fill the pit in my stomach or dissipate the rage that lingered in my very soul. I should know, for I did eventually claim my revenge. Perhaps that is why I write to you now, to relinquish myself of the pain and suffering she had provided me for years.

You will be tempted and tested throughout life. The darkness is quite alluring. The power it brings you outweighs the heartache. At least that's what they'll tell you. You will face them, should the opportunity provide you, and you must stand tall. Do what I could not. Rise and fight for the goodness of others; not only yourself.

___

Seven years ago,

Scotland

            KREMSWORTHS, a wizarding school in Ukraine, was usually for the poor families that could barely afford a meal, let alone a house. Despite the lack of wealth the students had, their school was one of the most prestigious in the country because of their strive to achieve. It focused on the basics of wizardry, as well as muggle defense, which some people might think was a waste of time. Most of the children that went to Kremsworth were muggleborn or half bloods, and their headmaster believed it was important to learn all types of defense.

           Katerina, a teenage girl, went to said school. She had been going there since she was about seven, after she started showing signs of magic. Nine years later she found herself in a charmed carriage, skating across a long lake that was being pulled by a large sea serpent with sharp teeth and green scales. It wasn't that out of the ordinary to her, she had grown up with this sort of thing.