16. Whisteling Arrows

"No fucking way! You got a date to the ball?" Anya said incredulously. "Great, I'll be the only person that doesn't have one."

She slumped onto the ground, wrapping her hands in bandages to protect her knuckles from blisters. They had another training session today and were busy using the multiple punching bags around the room.

Maxim blushed at his friend's words, still not believing it for himself. "No, you won't be the only one. Volkov doesn't have one either." Kat snorted, taking a break from the punching bag to drink some water.

"Alec?" Said the girl on the floor, "no way! Have you seen the way he dances? He looks like he's got chewing gum stuck to his shoe."

Kat rolled her eyes, waiting for Maxim to steady the bag before using her momentum to strike it. "He's not that bad. At least not at ballroom dancing. Besides," she spoke as she hit the bag again, "you better get moving. Don't you have to find a date before dinner tonight?"

The girl nodded sadly, "yes. I'm screwed aren't I?" Her friends nodded, focusing back on their task.

After a few more rounds of the punching bag they rotated to lifting weights, then throwing knives, and finally archery. As Kat held the bow in her hand, she plucked an arrow from her supply and fixed it onto the string.

She lifted the bow, aimed at the target and brought the string back until it passed her eyes. She straightened her back and squared her feet along with her shoulders. The girl released her arrow, hearing the tune of a whistle beside her ear as it plunged into the center of the target.

Anya huffed as she watched, glancing at her own bow and mark. "Why can I never make a bullseye?" Kat glanced at her friend, noticing her arrow had landed on the outer layer of the target. "It's so unfair."

"You need to turn your feet, facing them at me." Said the brunette as she took another arrow from her supply and aimed it at the red dot before her. She released her hold on the string, once again listening to the sweet whistles that came from the arrow as it landed directly beside its friend.

"Jones!" Someone called out, "you got four kids waiting for you at the door. Should I let them in?"

Kat nodded at the voice, keeping her focus on her weapon. "Just tell them to watch out for flying knives." The girl got no response to this and figured they had just gone to let the kids inside the training room.

"Like this?" Anya said, looking warily at her new foot placement. Her friend nodded, mimicking her stance. "Mhm, now pull the arrow back and—" Her sentence was cut off as she let go of her string and watched an arrow sink into the target along with the other two.

"Wow!" Said a voice in utter amazement. "What is this place?" Kat turned to find the voice had belonged to Ginny Weasley who seemed to have tagged along with Ron, Harry, and Hermione. Ron looked just as astonished as his sister, while Hermione stood in her place looking rather heedful of the amount of weapons that filled the room.

Harry found Kat's eye and started towards her, ignoring his friends' reactions. He had become sort of used to these things by now, as he has come to talk to his new friend a few times during her training sessions.

Ginny followed shortly after them, eyeing the bow in the older girl's hands. "What's that?"

"It's a bow," said Kat as she lined another arrow on her string to demonstrate for the girl. She pulled her arm back, released, and watched as it joined the growing stack on the board. "And that's an arrow."

The little girl looked at the weapon in Kat's hand in confusion. "What's it for?" The brunette shrugged, hanging the bow away on a rack. " Hunting, protection; that sort of thing."

"Can I try?"

Ron gave a pointed look to his sister, "no. You could take your bloody eye out with that thing!" Hermione sighed with an annoyed shake of her head. "Don't be so dramatic, Ronald. Besides, she could very well as easily take her eye out with her wand."

Kat snickered, leading the four away from the action and into the hall. The training room was packed and they didn't need four more people to crowd it up by simply standing there and arguing. "So what's up?" She asked, continuing to walk down the walk. They followed after her as Ron and Hermione resumed bickering.

"I need your help," Harry admitted.

Kat snagged a hand towel from a clean laundry basket nearby, using it to clean the sweat off her neck. "With what? Did you figure out what the next task was?"

The boy glanced behind him, noticing the bushy haired girl was still telling the redhead off before he whispered, "no. But Hermione kept pestering me about it so I told her I had." Harry seemed rather ashamed at his admission.

Kat let out a huff of laughter, "that's dangerous water you're swimming in right now."

He nodded with a sigh, looking back to see Ginny had now joined in their argument. "I know. I came down here to see if you had heard something or figured out the next task. Hermione and Ginny saw us heading down to the docks and followed along."

"I'm sorry to say I haven't figured it out," said Kat. "If I had, you'd be the first to know." The boy frowned, pushing his glasses up on his nose. "But look, I'm gonna go wash up. I'll see you at dinner and we'll discuss it then. Alright?"

Harry nodded with a sad smile, appreciating her effort.

Kat stayed true to her words, continuing their conversation later during supper.  They hadn't made much improvement, only coming to the conclusion that whoever created that horrible screeching sound was obviously tone deaf.

Most of dinner had consisted of Anya complaining that she hadn't found a date. Alec was thrilled and was already asking what color her dress was.

"Is it red? I feel like that color suits you." He complimented. Anya simply grumbled under her breath, inhaling her bowl of Solyanka. Kat couldn't help but laugh as Alec pestered her friend.

The blonde smirked, "don't be mad you lost."

"I'm not mad," Anya said sarcastically, flashing a face of disdain. "I'm furious that I have to spend the entire night with you."

Kat pursed her lips in satisfaction, "well, it sounds like you're pretty excited."

"Ot'yebis'!"

_________________

Side note but look at the picture up top. You cannot tell me that it's not Hogwarts. I frickin' love that picture so much, bruv. I tried to upload a different one but I couldn't find it on my computer :( Then I saw this one and I just had to ;)  I forgot to do my English and Math unit tests so I may or may not have low grades in both those classes....but it's okay! I just cry myself to sleep, no big deal. Anyways, enough about me! Don't forget to vote and comment. As always, much love,

Dove <3