4. Bad Crookshanks

[ ACT TWO ]

4. Bad Crookshanks

12 Grimmauld Place, England --1995

   "STRAIGHT UPSTAIRS, first door on your left

   "STRAIGHT UPSTAIRS, first door on your left." Instructed Mrs.Weasley while pointing up towards the steep wooden steps down the hall. After being introduced to an alleged murderer and the rest of the cult currently residing in the kitchen, Kat was sent out. She was promised dinner would be ready soon and to meet the others kids while she waited.

Kat nodded, leaving silently while her eyes darted from place to place in curiosity. The only sound that could be heard throughout the house was the muffled conversation of the adults in the kitchen and the creak of the stairs underneath her feet.

The brunette climbed up the steps, hearing her combat boots thump against the floor as she turned a corner. She felt her soul leave her body when a small house elf stumbled towards her. He was holding a short wooden basket and a grey rag in his hands, dragging them against the carpet.

The elf looked up towards her with hardened eyes and a scowl. Kat cleared her throat, trying to avoid eye contact as he began muttering to himself. Though, as she passed by, she swore she felt his eyes linger onher mother's ring dangling around her neck. It must have came untucked from her shirt when she jumped at the sight of him.

Kat swiftly hid the ring under her top just before stepping up another set of stairs. A hoarse whisper came from behind her, barely audible. "Mistress Black."

Shivers ran down her spine but she ignored it. What could he mean? Did ghosts reside here at Grimmauld Place? Or did she simply remind him of someone? It's not like she had much time to dwell on this, seeing at she could hear more muffled voices coming from the door to her left.

It sounded like Harry. He was asking a question as Kat to pushed the door open to reveal the trio. Harry stood across from then, playing with trinkets around the room. "So, what is this place?"

Ron, who along with Hermione had her back turned to Kat, responded quickly. "It's headquarters."

"Of the Order of the Pheonix," said Mione. "It's a secret society."

Kat stepped forward, "it doesn't seem so secret." the trio turned around, relief flooding their faces at the sight of their friend from Ukraine. Hermione was the first to pounce, quickly throwing her arms around Kat's frame.

The three of them had gotten older, Hermione's hair was now less bushy and she had started to grown unto more of her clothes, as had Harry. The scar-headed boy still wore a red lighting bolt on his forehead, above his round glasses.

He was next to embrace her, his anger diminishing briefly as a large grin grew on his face. He had missed her.

Ron was last, he, like Harry, had gotten a hair cut and gained some muscle over break. Only he let her go she plopped down on a small plush armchair. "Question," began the older which, "why the hell am I here? I mean, no offence it's great to see you all but uh...why? Also, going back to the Order of the Bird--er, whatever--what's it for?"