5. Footsie With Kingsley

[ ACT TWO ]

5. Footsie With Kingsley

12 Grimmauld Place, England -- 1995

   CROOKSHANKS SEEMED to enjoy taunting the children that now sat around the dining table in the kitchen

   CROOKSHANKS SEEMED to enjoy taunting the children that now sat around the dining table in the kitchen. Pots and pans were placed around the room and grouchy faces were painted on canvas' hanging on the black walls.

The orange cat licked his lips, seemingly enjoying its dinner. Kat sent him a strange look from her seat beside Ginny, across from Fred and George.

Dim lamps swayed above their heads, projecting light into the darkened room. With all the black coloring and decorations, the house looked rather grim, narrow, and small. Kat wondered what a new paint job could do to this place; perhaps a nice creamy yellow. Maybe a few vinyl records hung about.

Mrs. Weasley stood at the end of the table, chopping up vegetables to throw together and listening intently to what Sirius was saying from his seat at the opposite end. Her husband, Arthur, was fretting about Harry's explosion, something Kat only just learned about. To say the least, she thought it was beyond fucked up.

The thought of Harry missing his fifth year at Hogwarts because he defended himself against soul sucking demons (dementors) was not siting right with her. She could only spare an amused smile towards Tonks whose lips was morphed into that of a duck bill. Any other day she would have enjoyed watching the metamorphmagus change her appearance but tonight was different.

Fred seemed to sense her unease, nudging what he hoped was her foot under the table as reassurance. In some odd way, it happened to be George's who stood up from his seat, pouring pumpkin juice in his cup. George sent him a grimace, kicking Fred in the shin after thinking his brother had meant to just hit him for fun.

Fred hissed subtly, hitting his brother back. They engaged in a short war where George emerged victorious, much to his delight. After, Fred tried again, nuding another foot in hopes of earning Kat's attention.

It ended up being Ginny's and she sent him a confused look and scoffed. She must have known what he was trying to do because she simply rolled her hazel eyes and jutted her chin towards Kat who focused on Mr. Weasley.

The red headed boy nudged another foot, praying it would be hers, otherwise he'd be having a rather awkward conversation with Kingsley Shacklebolt, an Auror that sat beside his friend. Luckily, he hit the right pair of feet this time and she quickly looked over.

Kat gently poked him back, earning teasing smiles from both of them. She was grateful for him. He knew when she was freaking out and knew just how to calm her down. In all honesty, Kat didn't know how or why his presence alone was enough to calm the storm billowing within her. He just did.