28. In Another Life

I've never believed love is real, not romantic love anyways.

Fairytales built it up to be this undying passion and everlasting promise. They were all lies.
Or perhaps it was just a concept made by two lonely people who desperately craved adoration and the warmth of a body beside them in bed.

Or maybe it's just me. Maybe love is very real and I've just been looking in all the wrong places.

Regardless, this isn't my story. It's Kat's. I'm just the lucky person who was chosen to tell her truly liberating story. Luckily for us, she and I share the same mentality.

If not for her aunt and uncle, Kat would have thought 'love' was a mere thought or whisper. They showed that love can conquer all, if not most. Though the girl had given up on this act long ago, deciding she didn't need it. She needed no one but herself and her family; her friends.

Of course she loved to set her friends up with whoever they fancied, but this didn't change the fact that 'love' just wasn't for her. "It simply doesn't suite me," she would say.

Since she had disregarded this act of passion for so long, it came as a jostling shock to her when she ventured down to the Great hall on her last morning at Hogwarts only to find Cho Chang sobbing into her porridge. Friends comforted her, patting her back solemnly. In fact, everyone seemed to be in a depressed state of mind. She didn't blame them. After the events of two days ago, Kat had felt this pain in her chest; something that ceased to subside.

Cho had such a gratifying relationship with Cedric Diggory, his death had nearly broken her. Her heart was slowly being chipped away as every turn she took, she was reminded of his beautiful smile and bright eyes.

The girl took a cautious step towards the Gryffindor table and took a seat across from Hermione and Ginny. She piled eggs and sausage onto her plate, followed by a cup of orange juice and bowl of fruit. Kat felt awkward at the moment. The bushy haired brunette was reading a copy of the newspaper with a small frown and Ginny pushed around the baked beans on her half eaten plate.

Kat cleared her throat quietly, "have either of you seen Harry?" Hermione looked up from her paper and shook her head, "no, not since yesterdays ceremony. Though he's been awfully quiet—which I expect no less from him."

"Poor, Harry." Ginny murmured with a sad stricken expression. Her hazel eyes gleamed with worry as she continuously looked towards the double doors in hope of seeing a certain someone walk through.

Kat had yet to learn anything about what Harry had fully seen in the maze. All she knew was that Voldemort was back and the thought of that sent a shiver down her spine. "Has he talked to you about that night at all?" Asked the girl. She took a small sip from her goblet as Hermione folded up the newspaper.

"No, I expect he's in shock."

"Hey ladies," said two very familiar voices. The Weasley twins took a seat on either side of Kat, though their usually chipper tone had seemingly disappeared. "Think you'll miss Hogwarts, Jones?" George asked, tossing a stack of pancakes on his plate before drowning it in syrup.

She smiled fondly at the sight, at least this unfortunate event hasn't changed his appetite. "Meh, there's not much here for me to miss." Fred almost spit out his drink, bringing a hand to his chest in feigned disbelief. "Are we not enough for you, Kat?"

"Most would do anything to be in our presence."

"Psh—I would do anything to be in our presence."

"I would do anything to deflate those big egos of yours," she retorted with a smug smile. They simply grinned and Fred nudged her shoulder playfully.