Battle of Isra Sea 1

November 23

Esralem, Israfail Empire

The beginning of the naval battle with Slephen in the Kingdom of the Len Islands, a protectorate, has already been reported to the palace where the emperor resides. The emperor was waiting for the report of the war situation. The ministers, who had been looking relaxed at first, could not hide their nervousness when the battle began, and their brows were furrowed and they were silent. At that moment, however, a soldier burst into the silent room.

"A report has just come in from the Kingdom of the Len Islands! The flagship of the dispatched force, Yom Kippur, and 24 other ships have been sunk, and the Len Islands have been captured by Slephen's forces!"

"What!?"

The meeting room was filled with shock. The Minister of Military Affairs, Albert, was particularly pale. No wonder. This was the first complete defeat for the Israfail Empire against the United Kingdom of Slephen.

"What happened? What about the silver dragons!?"

It was to be expected that the enemy was somewhat more advanced, but Israfail had the air force of silver dragons that Slephen did not have. Emperor Jacob XII asked why they could not win even with the power of the silver dragon.

"...About that, the enemy ships seemed to have conjured an 'invisible barrier' that repelled the silver dragon's fire and physical attacks, so the silver dragons were useless. Therefore, Michael, the fleet commander, brought the ships into artillery battle, but only inflicted insignificant damage...!"

The fleet, realizing that the silver dragons were useless, opted for close combat, but the power of their artillery was not enough to break through the barriers, and in order to at least get a hit, they concentrated their fire on a single point without regard to tactics. As a result, the only thing they gained in exchange for the total destruction of the fleet was sinking only one enemy ship.

"By invisible barrier... could it be, a magic barrier?"

"Magic barrier?"

The Minister of Technology, Baruch Rubenan Oppenheimer, had an idea of what it was. He explained the magic barrier to the emperor, who was confused.

"As the name implies, it is a powerful barrier that is deployed by wearing magical power as a shield, which is controlled only by a few powerful magical beasts. It consumes a large amount of magical power to maintain, so it cannot be controlled by humans."

"If humans can't do it, why did Slephen's warships use it!?"

"That... I don't know, Your Majesty."

Baruch frowned. All he knows is that Slephen has acquired a new power that it has never had before.

"But just being able to conjure a strong barrier is not going to be enough to destroy the fleet. In artillery battle, we would have the advantage because we have more maneuverability. What else happened?" Jacob XII asked the soldier who came to deliver the report.

"Yes... the enemy is sailing ships, but they have the speed of a steamship, and they fired arrows of light from beyond the range of our cannons."

"Arrows of light...? Like the missiles used by the Japanese Armed Forces?" Minister of Military Affairs Albert asked.

"No, sir... it seems not. It was more like a narrow beam of light itself that was used as a ranged weapon."

"...?"

The emperor and his ministers were generally confused as to what the soldier was trying to convey. In a world where the term "laser beam" did not yet exist, it was not easy to convey the concept.