Interlude 3 - Shimanami Upheaval

October 23

Off the coast of Ashiwara, Ina Kingdom

The day after the Mutsu drifted ashore in the Ina Kingdom, the ship's crew was working to move the ship out to sea with the help of the Inans. The ship was connected to small boats powered by magic with a rope and pulled as hard as they could toward the sea. This process went on and on.

"Our boats can't do it!"

Nakumo Jyubei Tokisada, the commander of the Inan Navy, was annoyed by the Mutsu's weight. The ancient civilization of Elmerand, which had greatly surpassed that of the Earth, was already mostly extinct, and its descendants had never seen a ship made entirely of metal.

"...There's nothing we can do, or worse... we'll just have to wait patiently for JAXA to find us here from space, or for a rescue mission to come to our aid."

At high tide, the ship remained motionless on the beach. Standing on the deck, the chief navigator, Commander Takuya Sena, was troubled by the lack of options.

"No... there is a way. It's the Aqua Tarta."

"...Aqua Tarta?"

Jyubei, who was listening to the conversations of Sena and the others from a small magic-powered boat's deck, mentioned that there was only one thing that could move the Mutsu. He continued to explain to Sena and the other members of the navigation department, who tilted their heads.

"This country is regularly hit by abnormal tides that far exceed normal high tides. That is the Aqua Tarta, and this area of sandy beach sinks to the bottom of the sea. If we can combine that with a normal high tide, you might be able to escape."

Abnormal tides are tidal fluctuations that occur over a period of tens of days and are different from storm surges and tsunamis. The most famous example on earth is the anomalous tides in the Italian water city of Venice, which the locals call Aqua Tarta. When this disaster strikes, St. Mark's Square, famous as the most beautiful square in the world, is also filled with tidal waters.

"But... we don't know when this Aqua Tarta will come."

"The time is fixed every year... four or five days from today."

Sena and the others widened their eyes, for if they could leave in five days, they would be well on their way to catching up with Oga and Mashū, who had already left for the Shungyou Continent.

"Why didn't you say earlier!?"

Sena's heart cries echoed through the air. After that, they were to wait quietly until Aqua Tarta arrived five days later.

. . .

Ashiwara Royal Palace

At that time, there was a bit of a commotion at the royal palace in the capital city of Ashiwara.

"A rebellion broke out on Chintou Island at the southern tip of the mainland! The ringleader of the rebellion is Izumiin Genjiro Sanematsu, head of the Izumiin family, the chief retainer of the Shimanami family!"

Asakabe Nagahachirou and other men dressed in black kneeled before King Itsusehiko, who sat on his throne, to deliver a report. They were members of the Inujin Shinobi, a covert organization under the direct command of the Hitakami family, the royalty of this country. They had received information that a rebellion had occurred on an island called Chintou located in the southeastern Ina Archipelago, and had reported this to the king.

"...What!? Speaking of Chintou Island... it is ruled by that rabble-rouser family."

This country is ruled by 10 families with the royal family, at the top. From the north, these families are: the Datena, Honjo, Norikawa, Takebata, Uematsu, Orida, Asakaga, Manri, Sogabu, and Shimanami. The Shimanami family, the lords of Chintou where the recent rebellion is occurring, is infamous among the ten families for having a particularly rough temperament and is highly independent within the Ina Kingdom.