Chapter 1: Tacos

Katy Chen

heyyy girl

shaun got held up at work so im gonna pick you up from the airport

Okay

I'm still on the plane right now. I dont' why but we're just parked outside the airport

maybe their parking it i havent been on many airplanes before

actually the only one ive ever been on was that one shaun and

i took to china

You mean, *they're

Okay, now they're letting us out. I'll find out what terminal I'm at when I get my bags

oh dear lord...

i cant believe it...

What is it? What's wrong?

Are you okay?

you...

youre a grammar nazi...

...Omg...

😂

You really had me just now...

lol sorry

not really...

🙄😂

Hey, I just got my stuff. I'm at terminal B, by the number 3

alright b3

i got you

i dont see you

I'm right in front of the B

still dont see you

what are you wearing

Black leggings, white shirt, a black jacket with an orange zipper

And orange sneakers

omg i have one of those jackets with lime green

dude we should totally match one day

hey i see you

I'd like that 😉

•••

Xialing collapsed into the passenger seat and let out a heavy sigh. She leaned her head back and looked up at the gray ceiling of the car. "Tired?" Katy asked with a smile. Xialing hummed a nuh-uh to her as she tilted her head to the left.

"Just hungry," she said. "I slept the entire flight and all I had today was some coffee." She rubbed her hands on her face. "And it wasn't even good coffee..." she smothered her words in the palms of her hands. Katy let out a nervous laugh and looked at Xialing.

"Yeah, that's ah..." she began. "Not good..." she grabbed her phone and tapped onto the map app. "Let's go get lunch. Anything in mind?"

"Mmmmmmmmssurprise me?" Katy grinned and typed in an address.

"Okay, this is one of my favorite places," she said as she inched behind the honda in front of her, the traffic moving at the speed of a snail.

•••

The white paper straw was now stained with Xialing's red lipstick. She drank the last of her jasmine lemonade, sipping up a few drops of melted ice along with the remaining flavors. Katy finished her beef taco, red sauce staining the corner of her mouth. Xialing admired as she casually wiped it off with her napkin before crumbling it up and placing it on her plate.

"So what do you think?" Kay asked. She rested her chin on the backside of her hand, her fingers casually dangling in the air. Xialing leaned forward and crossed her arms on the table.

"I love it," she said with a smile.

"I knew you would!" Katy exclaimed, raising her fists in victory. "This is one of my favorite places in the city, the tacos are ah-mazing! And the best part is, they're pretty cheap." Xialing's smile widened at Katy's excitement.

"It's a shame that Shaun couldn't come though," she commented, her mouth half full with one of the few remaining chips on the table.

"Well, we'll see him later." Katy said. "He works today but I get Thursdays off. This place opens pretty late so we'll usually meet up here."

"Really?" Xialing said curiously, her eyebrow popping up for a split second as she tilted her head. So I can get her alone on Thursdays..? She thought to herself.