Chapter 11: Eggs

🐵Shaun🐵

Hey

Can you still drop me off to work?

Katy?

Katyyyyyy?

WAKE UP!

•••

Citrus scents filled Katy's aura as she scrubbed her forehead and temples clean. She winced as the suds fell into her eye, squeezing it shut while she rinsed her face. Katy dried her face and looked at herself in the mirror, brushing a soaked strand of hair up and out of her face. She finished her morning routine and picked up her phone, sending another delivered but unread text to Xialing. She sighed and stepped out of the bathroom. She walked towards her living room and dropped onto the couch, leaning over to the coffee table where her laptop sat. Within a few clicks and a couple of scrolls, she decided to continue her binge of a true crime show she was in the middle of.

With her air pods snuggly tucked into her ears, she got up and took a few steps to her kitchen. Opening the fridge and searching for the almost empty carton of eggs, her head dropped when she felt a buzz in her back pocket. She emptied the fridge with the food she needed and slammed the door shut, pulling up the screen to her face only to be meet with a name that she didn't really care for at the moment. Shaun. Katy groaned and rolled her eyes at the continuous buzzing.

"Hey," she said as she squeezed the phone between her shoulder and left ear, her earphones now stuffed into the pocket of her pants.

"Hey, you can still drop me at work, right?" He asked through the phone.

"Yeah I can. Just give me, like, an hour?"

"Cool, thanks." Shaun replied. "Oh, by the way, how was that uh- club last night?" Katy froze, nearly dropping her spatula. "Sorry I couldn't come, Wong has me doing these weekly updates on the rings- and apparently he found some similar activity to them in New Jersey..." Katy pressed her lips together as the words drowned out around her. She scooped the scrambled eggs onto a plate and cleared her throat.

"Hey," she interrupted. "I- uh- need to talk to you..."

•••

"You guys kissed?!" Shaun asked. Katy gulped down her orange juice and wiped the citrus taste away with her tongue.

"Yes!" she said. "Well, she kissed me..." She ran a hand up her head and pushed stray black strands out of her face. "She just- did it, and then she left and I was in so much shock I was kinda on auto pilot on the way back-" She took a breath. "-And it didn't completely register until I got home and by then I just wanted to sleep..." She groaned into her hands as she tipped her head back.

"So what are you gonna do?" Shaun asked.

"I don't know," Katy said in a matter of factly voice. "That's why I asked you to come over. What do you think I should do?"

"Just talk to her." Shaun answered with a bit of chewed toast in his mouth.

"Yeah..." Katy said nervously. "Just talk..."