Chapter 9: Cocktails

💖 Katy Chen 💖

hey, you almost ready

Yeah.

I'm on my way down right now.

•••

Violet and pink neon lights caressed Katy's face as she and Xialing ordered their drinks. They were each on their second glass and Xialing was beginning to feel lighter. The music from the club rang through her ears and shook her. She knew she should stop after this one, but she didn't want to, not in front of Katy. Xialing glanced down at the black wooden floor contrasting with the white plastic of the bar wall. The neon lights slid from each bobbing head on the dance floor.

"Want another?" Katy shouted, the volume of her voice battling against the deafening music. Xialing looked down at her glass, noticing that there was only a sip left. She smiled and nodded and Katy turned to order another set of drinks. Her smile faded at the back of the hair. She turned around and Xialing glanced down at her outfit. The black long sleeve shirt dipped down exposing her chest. The tight midnight blue mini skirt ended at her upper thigh, allowing her light legs to be exposed before her knee-high boot matching her shirt hit them. Xialing glanced down at Katy's shirt again and gulped her drink.

"I'm gonna head to the bathroom." She shouted.

"I'll go with you!" Katy replied, grabbing her drink and leading the way to the quieter side of the club. The neon black atmosphere transformed into a shiny white, the walls now a soft ivory and the lights now fluorescent and flickering. They entered the bathroom where Kate bee-lined to the free middle stall. Xialing stood near the door of the bathroom, opening the door and slipping out into the hall.

Xialing leaned against the wall and looked down, her black bralette hid behind her mesh top. She slid down the wall and her hair scrunched up behind her. She raised her eyebrows, forcing her eyes to open wide as she lazily stood up, forgetting of the existence of her arms and forcing herself up with only her feet. She leaned back against the wall, this time her shoulder squishing against the wall while her head tilted on the cool white paint.

Why am I here? Xialing thought to herself. I never drink, why did I choose to drink with her?! I barely remember the last time I drank, and-

"Dude," Xialing whipped around and nearly fell into the wall as she spun to face the voice. Katy's face was painted in concern. "are you feeling okay? How much did you have to drink- I thought we had the same amount..." Katy thought back to the night of talking and sipping on the concoctions made at the bar.

We did drink the same amount... Xialing answered in her head. I just can't hold it as well as you. "I think I'm..." She elongated the "M". "Tied- tire...d" Katy linked her arm in Xialing's and led her out of the hallway.

"Okay, let's get you home," Katy said as she weaved Xialing through the crowd.

•••

The lyft drive to Xialing's house was mostly quiet. The driver was an elderly man who was a typical driver. Asking how they were, offering water and friendly conversation for the few minutes that they all cared enough to speak to each other. Xialing leaned back on the seat, her cheek squishing against the black leather. She leaned forward, her upper body sliding down towards Katy. She looked up and smiled. She smiled at the girl that she had been crushing on for months. Katy looked down from her phone and grinned at the sight.

"You're so pretty..." Xialing said. Katy lifted up Xialing's face up from the chin, painting her pale cheeks crimson with embarrassment, but Xialing hardly noticed her own feelings. She scooted closer to Katy and pressed her face against the shorter girl's shoulder. "Y'know I likehangin'out- withyou." She said, pausing to take a breath mid-sentence. Katy acknowledged Xialing and went back to focus on her phone.

"You too," She said, her eyes fixating back to the soap cutting Instagram video. The lights outside the car glowed along with the street lamps, matching perfectly in a strange way. The car pulled up the Xialing's apartment. Katy opened the car door and thanked the driver as she took Xialing's hand to lead her out of the car. The walk through the building was quiet, Xialing stepping out of sync with Katy's proper walk. The girls reached the elevators and Xialing struggled to press the button. After a few seconds too long, she succeeded in shakily pushing it, only to press the second, fourth, sixth and third floor buttons respectively. Katy laughed as she pushed the button to the correct floor and the elevator ascended to every level.

They stepped out of the elevator and Xialing stopped at her door, pulling out her keys and turning towards Katy. "Thanks... Katy..." She said, annunciating the "A" as she stepped towards the smaller girl.

"Eh, its n-" Katy was interrupted when maroon lips pushed against the corner of her mouth. She blinked as Xialing casually opened the door and tiredly grinned at her.

"G'night..."

"Nigh-night- Good night..." Katy said after the door closed, stunned from the act done on her.