Chapter 14: Grilled Cheese

Cold drops of rain pricked Katy's exposed skin, the icy pecks chilling her to the bone. After shopping for groceries and trying and failing to call Xialing, she had decided that she was not in the mood to cook, leading her to The Melting Spot. A restaurant that served mainly cheesy dishes. But Katy had failed to check the weather, which left her here: Walking in the rain. Wind blowing her hair in her face nearly blinding her and her blue and white flannel shirt doing nothing to protect her from the elements.

In the middle of her twenty-minute walk, Katy slipped. Clutching her take out bag to her chest, she allowed herself to fall, her left shoulder hitting the wet concrete. She picked herself up and kept walking, only to realize where she was. Across the street was Xialing's apartment building. Katy slowly walked while she counted up to the fifth floor.

She thought of Xialing. How amazing her apartment was, she was probably one of those people who effortlessly keeps their place clean. How casually gorgeous her hair always looked, whether messy or straightened or in a ponytail or if her bangs were blown out of her face from the wind, it was always perfect. How Xialing's signature crimson lips felt on her own- so right that it barely registered. The kiss felt like it belonged in her life, like a letter she had been waiting years for and it had finally showed up in her mail box. The only difference is that a letter is meant to be sent.

Xialing had been drinking when she kissed her, it was a drunken mistake. But what if it wasn't? Rang the thought that ran marathons in her head since the kiss. What if she kissed her on purpose and now she had been ghosting Xialing and she thinks that Katy does not care? Or what if she did doing it by accident and she brings it up but Xialing doesn't even remember and they become awkward with each other. More and more "what if" scenarios fill her mind, overcrowding her thought and shoving way the room for logic in her brain.

A deafening thunder clap knocked Katy out of her thoughts. Forget Xialing! She thought as she picked up her pace, passing the building. I need to get home before I drown in this stupid rain...