Chapter 15: Soup

Katy laid in her bed, her head foggy and heavy. She reached for her phone, aiming to check the time but her pupils were tugged towards the red spot in the corner of the screen. 7% battery. She reached down towards the floor, her hand reaching the boarder where wooden boards met fuzzy carpet. She shuffled her hand around the cold floor, finally feeling the rubber texture of the black tape that hid copper wires. She typed out an email and copy and pasted it. Today was definitely a sick day.

Katy turned over in her bed and sent the emails to her bosses and professor. After visiting Ta Lo, Katy decided that she wanted to do something, even if she was not sure what exactly. And so, another job as a waitress and community college classes began. She pressed the back of her wrist to her forehead. She was noticeably warm despite feeling that her blankets and fleece sweatshirt and pants were not enough. The air in the room was arctic like, burying her deeper into the covers. Once she was fully covered under the grey blanket, she pulled her phone out again and clicked on the messages app, searching for her best friend's name. She really needed Shaun.

•••

hey man, i'm really sick today. do you think you can pick up some soup and drop it off?

you can just leave it at the door if you want, i don't want you getting sick lmao

•••

Katy slept in for a few hours, shivering and shifting under the covers while the time ticked by. She tried getting up to make herself some coffee or even just to warm herself with some hot water, but ultimately decided to remain in bed, too weak to go anywhere. That is until, she heard the doorbell. Katy rolled out of bed, one leg falling out from under the comforter after the other. The air in the room felt arctic, it caressed the bare skin on her neck and face and found its way to chill the rest of her body to the bone. She slipped her fuzzy socked feet into her slippers and padded towards the front door. Wiping her nose on her sleeve, not caring if Shaun were to notice later- she had seen him in much worse states- she opened the door and was met with soft pink lips and blunt bangs.

The plastic bag in Xialing's hand rustled as she shifted awkwardly to support her weight on her other foot, the red thanks yours painted on the plastic curling along the item inside. "Hi..." She said after an eternity. Katy blinked and straightened her spine, wincing at the cold.

"Hey," She stepped back and glanced into her apartment. "Uh, come in. If you want..."

Xialing entered the apartment and skimmed the room, noting that it was pristine and well kept. The only "messy" part of the studio apartment was the bed that was seen in a corner, and it was not even messy, only unmade. Xialing turned around and held up the plastic bag.

"I brought you soup..." The taller girl said.

"Thanks," Katy replied, taking the bag from her. "How did you-"

"Shaun told me you were sick," Xialing answered. "I thought you could use some soup- I found this place nearby that's really good- and I also wanted to talk to you." Katy set down the bag on her kitchen counter and slowly walked towards the couch, beckoning Xialing to follow.

"Sure..." Katy said.

"So the other day-"

"That night at the-" They both began speaking at the same time.

"You first." Xialing said. Katy straightened in her seat and combed her hair away from her face and behind her ear.

"I'm sorry I haven't spoken to you in like, what? Years?" She scoffed. "I just... I didn't know if what happened that night was a mistake you made or not..."

"It wasn't a mistake!" Xialing cut in. "Not...completely- It was a- a good accident..." Katy furrowed her brows and smirked.

"Okay, Bob Ross?" Xialing shot her a puzzling look.

"Who?" She asked.

"You know, the artist? Had his own show, goofy afro?"

"Okay, let's forget afro guy for a minute-" Xialing took a deep breath. "I like you, Katy. I have for a while, I just- I didn't know if you'd like me back or if I'd be the right person for you or if you even-"

"Right person for me?" Katy blinked. "Right person for me? Xialing, you do underground MMA fights and win every time- you get like thousands of dollars every night, I go to a community college and I'm trying to keep two jobs at once and I still don't know what I want to do. I didn't think I'd be right for you." She chuckled. "I'm a mess and you're like, perfection personified."

"I am not!" Xialing couldn't help but laugh. "Remember when you came to my apartment? It took me like, four full hours to clean up the pigsty I live in!"

"Pleas It couldn't have been that bad-"

"Oh yes it was." Xialing said. "It was so bad." They both laughed until Katy ended up lying on the couch and Xialing remained laying back, watching her cackle as she finished her own hysterics. Katy sighed.

"Oh god..." She said, rolling her eyes. "What the hell was I worried about?" She asked herself out loud.

"You and me both." Xialing replied. Katy pushed herself up and sat face to face with Xialing, their knees pressed against each other as they sat staring into each other's dark eyes. Xialing leaned forward an pushed her lips toward Katy before warm fingers pressed against her lips.

"Maybe we should do the kissing at another time?" Katy said. "Preferably out on a date?" Xialing smiled at her and pulled her hand towards her face before laying a gentle kiss on her knuckles.

"I know a good taco place."

•••

Hello everyone, Cedar here! I'd like to thank you all for reading this story! I also want to apologize for not posting in like, years. I didn't mean to leave you all on a cliff hanger or anything. I just had some dark thoughts and figured I needed a break. But, as a thank you for your patience, I give you the rest of the story! Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day! Or night! - 🦊🌻🦊