15. Under the willow

The chatting between the two women kept going until the blonde one suddenly stopped her step, cut off the conversation, and let go of her hand. Nell said, "Give me a minute." before she knelt down, pull out the collecting kits from her backpack, and began to observe a plant beside the road.

For the countess, that particular plant looked just like a bush of wildflowers and nothing more, feeling a little bit lost, with the corners of her lips dropped down, she looked at her and waited patiently. Nell's fingertips were gently touching the plant with fine fluff on its petals, then she carefully cut a sample, which has a whole flower and leaves, from the main stem of it. Watching her cautious movement toward the plant, Alcina would not admit that she actually got a tiny little bit jealous about it, at least not now.

Fortunately, Nell soon put her attention back to the countess, she stored the sample and the kits in her bag and ungloved, before reaching out her hand toward her with a smile. The lady went blank for a moment, then she held the warm hand, a little smile showed on her face, and they made their steps again.

Maybe it was because the woman beside her, for the first time in her life, the countess started to have some interest in the plants other than for viewing, clearing her throat, she spoke,

"So, what is that plant?"

"Well, its nickname is Fluffy ball, and it's kind of an unusual plant. Didn't think about here having some, so I just want to make a record." Nell looked around while saying, trying to find another special plant. Alcina glanced down at her and spoke,

"I see, such a cute name. Could you tell me more about it? Like does it has any usage?" The countess said in a tone of interest. Nell was stunned a bit, and soon turned to her, speaking excitingly,

"Oh yes, if matching it with some other ingredients and stewing them, an anesthetic hallucinogen potion would be made. In some ancient tribes, the warriors bring it to the war and drink it when they get serious injuries. It would make them become braver and stronger, but sadly, the consequence isn't good." Nell said in one go then shrugged as the countess chuckled,

"I like the way you talk about it, cheerful like a little child."

They made a stop under the shadow of a tree, Nell turned around and lifted her head, looking at the lady embarrassingly. Stroking her flushed face, Nell tilted her head slightly and said,

"Is it too childish to do such movement for my age? I lost control of myself easily when I'm too excited about something."

Alcina bent down to look at her at the same height of her sight, gently held her face, and cooed,

"Absolutely not, I like those little sparks appearing in your eyes when you are talking about something you truly loved. That is fascinating."

"Oh, um, thank you?" Mumbling, Nell blushed deeper.

They looked into each other's eyes, the thumb of the lady gently caressed the soft skin of her cheek, they could only hear the sound of leaves shivering by the mischief wind, and no one intended to talk. Their faces were so close, only one or two inches away. Closing her eyes, Nell stepped a little forward and pressed her lips on Alcina's cheek, where near the softly curving corner of her lips, a silent humming left the lady's nose. 

After an unknowing time, Alcina made her move, she tilted her head and left a short and gentle kiss on Nell's face before standing straight, shifting her gaze away, and adjusting her hat with both of her hands. The blonde one smiled as she looked at her a bit uneasy gesture, running her hand through the ponytail, she straightened her straw hat as well.

"Shall we continue our hiking?" Nell reached out her hand to the countess again. The towering woman looked down at her with a faint rose tone on her cheeks, holding the smaller hand, she said, "Let's go."