Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

“Okay, I give up!” I cried, after Daniel once again tackled me into the water. Wiping the cold mucky water from my eyes, I looked up to see that Daniel was only a few inches away from me, doing the same thing.

For the past hour that’s all we’ve been doing, playing in the mud like little three year olds. We’ve played every water game, including my favorite Marco Polo. In that hour, I found that Daniel and I have moved past the awkward being around each other stage, and moved on to what I consider being friends.

“Ha, so you’re surrendering?” Daniel asked his lips curving into a boyish grin. I shook my head; he’s been trying to get me to admit that I can’t win against him. Which I knew from the beginning that I couldn’t, but hey, what’s the fun in that if I admit it right away.

“Yes, I surrender,” I giggled out.

He didn’t say anything in response, but just showed a look of triumph and something else in those gray blue eyes of his. I watched as he inched closer to me, so close that our noses were touching. I gulped as I realized what was coming. And that’s not even the strange part, what was strange was that I wanted him to kiss me.

“I love your smile,” he whispered, lifting his hand up so it cupped my cheek. I felt my head lean in against it, and a contented smile formed on my lips. I watched as he quickly glanced down at my lips, and just as fast, looked back to my eyes. I nodded my head, answering his unasked question.

As he leaned in, I could feel my heart beating so fast that I could’ve sworn that he’d be able to hear it. Just as his lips grazed mine, a loud boom, caused me to jump back. Looking around the skies, I saw that dark clouds covered the full moon and bright stars.

I groaned. “Well, looks like God has added a thunderstorm to our little adventure,” I commented, trying to make a joke out of the situation.

“We better go find shelter then,” Daniel suggested, already beginning the trek to the road. I followed in suit, trying my hardest not to slip on the muddy ground. “Are there any farms in which we could go to?” he asked.

I thought for a minute. Everyone at the moment would be at the park celebrating the evening away. But now that it’s raining most people would be either going home, or taking the party to the church, where they carrying the backup plan.

“Come on, we can go to Mr. Richardson’s barn,” I said, already heading back the direction we came. “We’ll have to go over a white picket fence, and walk through probably a very muddy field. But his barn is the best place to be.”

We walked in silence, as the pouring down rain drenched us even more so, if that’s even possible. Because of the rain the mud was beginning to wash off, but with the mud leaving, I started to grow very cold. Daniel must have noticed this because; he took off his brown leather jacket, and wrapped it around my shoulders. I smiled gratefully at him, and slipped my arms through.

Once we reached the famous white picket fence, we jumped over, and with the storm getting worse, and lightning flashing off in the far distance, we picked up out pace. Soon enough, we were sprinting across the field; luckily Mr. Richard’s dog was with him because with the splashing of our feet against the wet ground, we were sure to have caused him to start barking.

When we reached the barn, we unhooked the latch, and were greeted by the startled neighing horses. I stopped in my tracks and looked at the horses, a little frightened by their presence. Don’t get me wrong I love horses, I own quite a few actually, but other horses, ones I’m not familiar with, kind of scare me.

“Come on,” Daniel whispered behind me, causing me to jump. “There’s a place up top that we can stay for now.”

Taking my hand he led me to where a ladder leaned against a post. Putting me in front of him, I shakily began to climb the tall ladder. When I reached the top, I quickly crawled over to the furthest said of the platform, away from the ledge.