Chapter 16

Wow, thank you for such a big response to the last chapter; made my day to see it go up so fast, and to see it continue to go up! Along with Across the Hallway, it’s been almost a year since I’ve finished that story, and it doesn’t seem to stop going up; I’m so incredibly thankful!

Enjoy!

Chapter 16:

                “You’ve never seen Star Wars before?” Daniel asked, surprise written across his face.

                I shook my head, a shy smile forming on my lips, my eyes going slightly wider; like a deer caught in the headlights. “No,” I answered, letting the o drag out.

                “That’s just, wow, that’s just sad,” he commented, shaking his head, putting his head down like he was ashamed.

                I laughed at his reaction. People are always so surprised when I tell them I’ve never seen Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, or any of the super hero movies. I’m sorry, but I’m just not into those kinds of movies, and it’s not like I was ever really exposed to it. My family cut off cable when I was in the fifth grade, before I was able to watch any PG-13 movies, and I haven’t had cable since.

                “I’m a hopeless romantic kind of girl,” I explained, trying to defend my lack of TV watching. “I freaked out while watching National Treasure; do you honestly think I could handle something like Star Wars?”

                Daniel’s head snapped to me, his face a look of pure amusement and surprise. “You freaked out during National Treasure? Skylar, that movie is like for kids of all ages, how can you freak out during that?”

                I huffed at the comment. Folding my arms across my chest, I continued walking through the park. Daniel had to work today, and he had to go into town to grab some more feed for the pigs, and I decided to tag along; even though he risked on getting distracted with me in the car. Since it’s such a lovely day out, I decided that we should go to the park and have a nice walk.

                “I swear Sky, you have been deprived as a child,” Daniel commented, bringing me back to the conversation that was not going so well. “What did your brother watch?”

                I shrugged. “I have no idea. We have a pretty big age difference, so it’s not like we did everything together. I mean we were close, but not that close. He did his thing, I did mine. Besides, I’m the fairy tale; everything has to have a happy ending kind of girl. Chase is more of the, I’m cool, I play sports, I’m popular, I don’t really care what happens in life, as long as it doesn’t involve my family getting hurt.”

                Daniel nodded his head in understanding. Chase and I didn’t really get close until after eighth grade, after a specific guy touched me inappropriately, and I told him about it, since I was so bent out of shape about it. It took me a couple of years to let guys go near me; I had to have a pretty decent gap between me and the guy. I know shocker, Skylar Jones had guy friends? Yes, I had guy friends, I may not have dated any guys in high school, but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t have them as friends.