𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

chris hit the orange mini golf ball for what seemed like the 100th time that level and finally got it in. he sighed loudly in relief that the was finally finished with this level. 

he sighed even louder when he looked around and saw all his other friends way ahead of him.

he sighed the loudest when he saw brielle and ross laughing with each other in first place. 

madi was his duo partner and she didn't complain about his lack of skill because she wasn't the best either. she did complain about his bad attitude though.

"what's the matter with you? usually, you're better than me at this stuff!" madi shouted as they grabbed their balls and moved to the next level.

"i'm just off today i guess," chris said simply as he placed his ball down at the new starting spot and got in his stance, glancing up at brielle for a second.

"you're more than off. you hit the ball in the wrong direction last time," madi deadpanned as she leaned on her club. 

chris stood up from his stance and slapped his hands to his side. "i'm sorry for not being focused and making us lose. i'll be better."

chris got back in his stance and madi furrowed her brows at him. chris was never this easy to admit he was wrong. that's how madi realized he was upset. 

chris pulled his club back, then struck the golfball way too hard. it hit the wall and flew right back to his feet.

"okay that's enough," madi walked over to chris and grabbed the club out of his hand. "what's going on?"

"nothing," chris replied as he looked over at brielle and ross. ross was holding her hands showing her where to hold the club and chris just shook his head as he looked away. madi noticed and she hummed.

"your mouth is telling me one thing but your eyes are telling me another." madi walked in front of chris to block his view from ross and brielle. "have you told her?"

"if i told her, ross wouldn't be here right now. no offense to him," chris answered honestly as he rolled his eyes.

"dude it's affecting you so bad that you can't even focus in mini golf. fucking tell her," madi told him as she poked his chest with a club.

chris sighed and crossed his arms across his chest. "that was the plan for tonight until he had to tag along."

"don't give me that," madi copied chris' actions and crossed her own arms. "he is your excuse. you're just so scared to do it."

chris scoffed and shook his head. "no. he just keeps getting in the way."

madi shrugged and turned around to look at ross. "seems to me that he's just making moves on brielle. you want her right? then fucking tell her after this tonight."

"is that a challenge?" chris questioned as he raised a brow at madi.

"i triple dog dare you," madi replied as she pointed a finger in chris' chest. chris scoffed.

"are we 12?" chris asked her as he uncrossed his arms.

madi handed chris his club back and shrugged. "did my pep talk work?"

chris looked over at brielle one more time and then took the golf club from madi and got back in stance. "i don't even care right now let's fucking win this."

★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★

when chris and madi didn't win, he was a little bitter. when he found out he lost to brielle and ross, he was livid. he had to watch as ross picked brielle up and twirl her around in circles. they were definitely overdoing it, but chris decided to let it go.

that was until ross got on his nerves. 

"chris i can't believe you lost to us. i heard you were the first to agree to coming to this place," ross teased as he gestured to the leaderboard on the wall. it was all in good fun, but chris really wasn't in the mood for jokes.

chris held his eyes from rolling and shrugged. "yeah, i can't believe it either."

madi, chris, brielle, and ross were the only people done. the rest of the group was still trying to complete the course so ross was just trying to keep the conversation from going boring.

"i guess i'm just the better mini golfer." ross answered with a shrug of his own. chris bit the inside of the cheek so he wouldn't say anything he'd regret. madi reached over to grab the golf club out of chris' hand but his grip was so strong.

"chris let go so i can put it away," madi said with a nervous laugh. chris loosened his grip from the club without looking at brielle. he couldn't. he was scared to see what her face would look like.

ross laughed at chris' visible anger, thinking it was just because of the game. he leaned over and wrapped his arms around brielle's shoulders, making madi visibly grimace. "brielle and i are just the better duo."

this set chris off. he no longer wanted to watch the girl he liked and another guy be all close right in front of his face. 

"how fun. are you the better couple too?" chris sarcastically asked as he rolled his eyes. "actually don't answer that. i couldn't care less."

chris swiftly turned around and walked out of the mini golf building without turning to see any reactions. he was so tired of being brielle's second fiddle. so fucking tired of acting so bitchy over a girl. a girl who didn't even want him.

★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★

at first, brielle was shocked to hear chris say that. yeah, he was always mad whenever ross was mentioned but he never said anything. he would only make faces or leave the room. he claimed to not care, but it was really starting to seem like he cared.

brielle felt the strongest urge to go after chris, but instead she just looked from madi to ross with a confused look on her face. ross just laughed at her confusion. "don't just fucking stand here go after him!"

ross pushed brielle towards the door and suddenly she was in autopilot. she thought about mia's words again.

"you don't know until you know! just go for it. regrets will hurt you more than a no i promise you."

those words propelled her through the mini golf arena doors and outside, where she saw chris sitting on a bench.

VAL SPEAKS

✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅