ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx

CHAPTER SⵊX
ᴡᴏʟꜰsʙᴀɴᴇ

The sun, no matter how some feared it, seemed to be an omen that evening after the confrontation with the Volturi. It lay softly over the horizon, like a firefly, bathing the stark snow in a frosty, orange light. It seemed to say that we were safe as vampires and hybrids alike, even as our skin sparkled and eyes shone a mix of yellow and red.

The two men- the Romanians, they were dubbed- left first in a flash of anger, which Carlisle didn't seem worried by. Perhaps it was the flush of happiness and relief, but I felt inclined to agree with the man. It was not often that Carlisle was wrong and there was no need to fear the retaliation of the Volturi just yet.

Jasper parted to say goodbye to Peter and Charlotte, and Esme escorted the Irish coven to the edge of the boundaries. Most of the wolves had dispersed before reaching the house, but Jacob had remained, shifting forms only as most of the red-eyed vampires began to disband. Zafrina and Senna left only as the sun began to lower, leaving Renesmee with images of butterflies and tigers, with promises to return. The sight was a warming one. To think the family had such strong connections with their own kind, all across the world. Not even two years ago I had thought the sight impossible.

Nahuel and Huilen were the last to leave. There was something about Bella and Renesmee that fascinated the hybrid, and it was not difficult to guess what. His own mother had not survived the birth, but here stood Bella as strong as ever. And this child was just as he had been with a quick heart and hot skin and delicate speed.

His parting words were not of thanks and hope, but of worry. Alice's steely expression meant that she'd predicted as much, even if she hadn't outright saw it. But amongst all the relief and happiness that filled the air, anxiety refused to settle upon my shoulders. Not until, at least, I'd heard his preposition.

"I must ask something of you," he said, lips pulled into a harsh line.

Alice's face lifted into an easy smile, only working to calm me further. "Anything. Our victory would not have been possible with our you or your Aunt."

He nodded in thanks. "My sisters. They are not at fault but I fear the Volturi will go after them anyway. Find them before they do. Warn them, direct them to me, anything, if you will."

They were not the worrisome words I had expected from Nahuel. But something about the task had left me feeling pleased. The sense of finality in this final battle had felt too instantaneous, as if things as they had been before were finally ending. At least now we had our own adventure to use as a closing.

"We can do that. We've gotten good at hunting people down," I said, eyes meeting with Alice, seeing that she must've understood all that I was thinking.

"Thank you," he said with a nod and eventually departed.

Not long after, I found Thomas hanging by the treeline, legs cast over a thick branch, admiring the wooden and glass structure the Cullens and myself called home. He smiled, teeth a dazzling white, and jumped from the tree, arms opening casually wide. There was something about the gesture that brought me back to the days when we were young and stupid, thinking we would die just as young and stupidly. I had to mirror his smile then, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"You've made quite the home for yourself here," he said, nodding approvingly, just like a brother would.

"Not without difficulties," I admitted, pulling away but remaining with one arm around him as he draped his own over my shoulders, gazes cast upon the family who was now regrouping. "It was worth it. I have a family now. You should stay. They'd welcome you readily."