Chapter 13: Seize The Day

DAVEY: Is anyone else coming?

Hope not. The less there are the easier they are to soak, thought Morris

JACK: Don't get a clue.

RACE: Youse has seen Spot Conlon, right? What'd he say?

JACK: Sure we've seen him.

DAVEY: He and about twenty of his gang.

LES: And them Brooklyn boys is big.

Yep.

JACK: And I gotta say, Spot was very impressed. Wasn't he?

DAVEY: I'd say.

RACE: So they're with us?

DAVEY: That all depends on how you look at it. If you look and see Brooklyn, then they're with us.

JACK: They wanted proof we're not gonna fold at the first sign of trouble.

I hope they do.

FINCH: Are we?

JACK: We are not! There's us and Harlem—

MUSH: Not so fast, boss. Harlem wants to know what Brooklyn's gonna do.

JACK: How about Queens?

SPECS: Queens will be right here backing us up—

JACK: Ya see!

SPECS: ... as soon as they get the nod from Brooklyn.

RACE: I got the same fish eye in midtown

Ha, no one's on their side.

MORRIS: Say, Oscar, looks like we got bum information about a strike happenin' here today.

OSCAR: Yeah, My skull-bustin' arm could use a day of rest.

LES: Are we doing the right thing?

No.

DAVEY: Sure we are.

RACE: Maybe we put this off a couple of days?

DAVEY: No. We can't... Say something. Tell them if we back off now they will never listen to us again.

JACK: We can't back down now. No matter who does or doesn't show. Like it or not, now is when we take a stand.

FINCH: How's about we just don't show for work? That'll send a message.

JACK: They'll just replace us. They need us to stand our ground. C'mon, Davey. Tell 'em.

DAVEY: NOW IS THE TIME TO SEIZE THE DAY. STARE DOWN THE ODDS AND SEIZE THE DAY. MINUTE BY MINUTE, THAT'S HOW YOU WIN IT. WE WILL FIND A WAY. BUT LET US SEIZE THE DAY.

CRUTCHIE: Hey Jack. Look what I made! Good, huh? Strike!

RACE: That's great. That's pitiful.

LES: Don't be so quick to judge. Maybe Pulitzer will see it out his window and feel sorry for us.

JACK: Hey Specs, any sign of reinforcements? Davey...

DAVEY: COURAGE CAN NOT ERASE OUR FEAR. COURAGE IS WHEN WE FACE OUR FEAR. TELL THOSE WITH POWER, SAFE IN THEIR TOWER, WE WILL NOT OBEY

DAVEY & JACK: BEHOLD THE BRAVE BATTALION THAT STANDS SIDE BY SIDE, TOO FEW AND TOO PROUD TO HIDE. THEN SAY TO THE OTHERS WHO DID NOT FOLLOW THROUGH, "YOU'RE STILL OUR BROTHERS, AND WE WILL FIGHT FOR YOU."

DAVEY, RACE, JACK  CRUTCHIE: NOW IS THE TIME TO SEIZE THE DAY. STARE DOWN THE ODDS AND SEIZE THE DAY.

NEWSIES: ONCE WE'VE BEGUN, IF WE STAND AS ONE, SOMEDAY BECOMES SOMEHOW, AND THE PRAYER BECOMES A VOW,

JACK: AND THE STRIKE STARTS HERE AND NOW!

Did I think the strike already started?

WIESEL: The sun is up and the birds are singin'. A beautiful day to crack some heads, ain't it? Step right up and get your papes.

MORRIS: You workin' or trespassin'? What's your pleasure?

DAVEY: Who are they?

JACK: Scabs. What do you think?

FINCH: If they think they can just waltz in here and take our jobs –

CRUTCHIE: We can handle them!

ROMEO: Let's soak 'em boys!

FINCH: Yeah! Let's get 'em!

DAVEY: No! We all stand together or we don't have a chance!

JACK: All right. I know. I hear ya. Listen, fellas... I know somebody put youse up to this. Probably paid ya some extra money too. Yeah? Well, it ain't right. Pulitzer thinks we're gutter rats with no respect for nothin', including each other. Is that who we are? Well, we stab each other in the back and, yeah, that's who we are. But if we stand together, we change the whole game. And it ain't just about us. All across this city, some boys and girls ought to be out playin' or going to school. Instead, they're slavin' to support themselves and their folks. Ain't no crime to bein' poor, and not one of us complains if the work we do is hard. All we ask is a square deal. Fellas... for the sake of all the kids in every sweatshop, factory, and slaughterhouse in this town, I beg you... throw down your papers and join the strike.

LES: Please?

SCAB 1: I'm with ya.

DAVEY: NOW IS THE TIME TO SEIZE THE DAY!

NEWSIES: NOW IS THE TIME TO SEIZE THE DAY!

DAVEY: ANSWER THE CALL AND DON'T DELAY!

NEWSIES: ANSWER THE CALL AND DON'T DELAY! WRONGS WILL BE RIGHTED IF WE'RE UNITED!
LET US SEIZE THE DAY!

SCAB 3: You're kidding, right?

SCAB 2: At the end of the day, who are you gonna trust? Them... or them?

JACK: NOW LET 'EM HEAR IT LOUD AND CLEAR!

NEWSIES: NOW LET 'EM HEAR IT LOUD AND CLEAR!

JACK: LIKE IT OR NOT, WE'RE DRAWING NEAR!

NEWSIES: LIKE IT OR NOT, WE'RE DRAWING NEAR! PROUD AND DEFIANT, WE'LL SLAY THE GIANT! JUDGMENT DAY IS HERE!

SCAB 3: Oh... What the Hell? My father's gonna kill me anyway!

NEWSIES: HOUSTON TO HARLEM, LOOK WHAT'S BEGUN! ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE! STRIKE, STRIKE, STRIKE, STRIKE, STRIKE, STRIKE, STRIKE, STRIKE, STRIKE, STRIKE, OH..... STRIKE! NOW IS THE TIME TO SEIZE THE DAY! THEY'RE GONNA SEE THEY'LL HAVE TO PAY! NOTHING CAN BREAK US
NO ONE CAN MAKE US QUIT BEFORE WE'RE DONE! ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE! NEWSIES FOREVER! SECOND TO NONE! ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR... ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR...

WIESEL: Time these kids learned a lesson.

JACK: Newsies! Get 'em!

We soaked them bad. The bulls showed up to help us.

ROMEO: It's about time you showed up. They're slaughtering us—

JACK: Cheese it, fellas! It's the bulls!

They got soaked more.

SYNDER: You can't run forever, Kelly!

CRUTCHIE: Jack? Wait for me!

OSCAR:  Where ya think you're goin'?

CRUTCHIE: Jack! Help! Romeo! Albert! Finch!

MORRIS: Shut it, Crip.

SNYDER: It's off to The Refuge with you, little man. Take him away.

JACK: Crutchie!

SNYDER: Jack Kelly!