Chapter 17: The Theater

DAVEY'S POV:

After Katherine had gotten done telling the Newsies about how they got the front page, he went to find Jack, leaving Les with Katherine.

DAVEY: How 'bout lettin' a pal know you're alive?

MEDDA: I'll leave you with your friend.

DAVEY: Where'd you go? We couldn't find you.

JACK: Ever think I didn't wanna be found?

DAVEY:  Is that a real place? That Santa Fe? Hey! Do you see the pape? We're front page news, above the fold. Oh, yes. Above the fold.

JACK: Good for you.

DAVEY: Everyone wants to meet the famous Jack Kelly. Even Spot Conlon sent a kid just to say: next event you can count on Brooklyn. How about that?

JACK: We got stomped into the ground.

DAVEY: They got us this time. I'll grant you that. But we took round one. And with the press like this, our fight is far from over.

JACK: Every Newsie who could walk showed up this morning to sell papers like the strike never happened.

DAVEY: And I was there with them. If I don't sell papers, my folks don't eat.

JACK: Save your breath. I get it. It's hopeless.

DAVEY: But then I saw this look on Weasel's face; he was nervous. And I realized this isn't over. We got them worried. Worried. And I walked away. Lots of other kids did, too. And that is what you call a beginning.

LES: There he is, just like I said.

JACK: For cryin' out loud... where's a fella gotta go to get away from you people?

DAVEY: There's no escapin' us, pal. We're inevitable

LES:  So, what's the story? Can we have the theater?

DAVEY: Pipe down. I didn't ask yet.

LES: What's the holdup? I need to let my girl know we've got a date.

His girl?

DAVEY: Your girl?

LES: You heard me. I've been swattin' skirts away all morning. Fame is one intoxicatin' potion. And this girl, Sally, she's a plum.

JACK: Word is you wrote a great story.

KATHERINE: You look terrible.

LES:  Hey, Jack. Where's that supposed to be?

JACK: It's Santa Fe.

KATHERINE: I've got to tell you, Jack, this "Go west, young man" routine is getting tired. Evan Horace Greeley moved back to New York.

LES: Yes, he did. And then he died.

JACK: Ain't reporters supposed to be non-partisan?

KATHERINE: Ask a reporter. Pulitzer's had me blacklisted from every news desk in town—

LES: Can we table the palaver and get back to business? Will Medda let us have the theater?

DAVEY:  it's what I've been trying to tell you: we want to hold a rally – a citywide meeting where every Newsie gets a say and a vote. And we do it after working hours so no one loses a day's pay. Smart?

JACK: Smart enough to get you committed to a padded room.

KATHERINE: The guy who paints places he's never seen is calling us crazy?

JACK: Want to see a place I've seen? How about this? Newsie Square, thanks to my big mouth, was filled to overflowing with failure. Kids hurt, others arrested

DAVEY: Lighten up. No one died.

JACK: Is that what you're aiming for? Go on and call me a quitter, call me a coward. No way I'm puttin' them, kids, back in danger.

DAVEY: We're doing something that has never been done before. How could that not be dangerous?

JACK: Specs brought me a note from Crutchie at The Refuge. I tried to see him. Climbed down the fire escape. But they busted him up so bad he couldn't even come to the window. What if he doesn't make it? Are you willing to shoulder that for a tenth of a penny a pape?

DAVEY: It's not about pennies. You said it yourself: my family wouldn't be in the mess we're in now if my father had a union. This is a fight we have to win.

JACK: If I wanted a sermon, I'd show up for church.

DAVEY: Tell me how quitting Crutchie does any good. Exactly. So...HERE'S HOW IT GOES, ONCE WE WIN AND WE "WILL" BE WINNING, MAKE NO MISTAKE

JACK: WE'LL BE WHAT?

DAVEY: WE'RE ALREADY WINNING

JACK: RIGHT

DAVEY: AND WE'LL TELL THEM STRAIGHT OUT THEY LET CRUTCHIE GO OR THEY KEEP GETTING POUNDED

JACK: DAVE, WHAT THE HECK? DID THEY BUST UP YOUR BRAINS OR SOMETHIN'? AS I RECALL, DAVE WE ALL GOT OUR BUTTS KICKED, AND THEY WON.

DAVEY: WON THE BATTLE.

JACK: OH COME ON

DAVEY: JACKIE, THINK ABOUT IT, WE GOT THEM SURROUNDED

JACK: HERE'S WHAT I THINK, JOE'S A JERK! HE'S A RATTLESNAKE

DAVEY: YOU'RE RIGHT! AND YOU KNOW WHY A SNAKE STARTS TO RATTLE?

JACK: NO WHY?

DAVEY: 'CAUSE HE'S SCARED.

JACK: SURE.

DAVEY: GO AND LOOK IT UP. THE POOR GUY'S HEAD IS SPINNING. WHY WOULD HE SEND FOR THE GOONS, AN ENTIRE ARMY? DOZENS OF GOONS AND COPS, AND-

JACK: YOU KNOW YOU MAY BE RIGHT

DAVEY: THANK YOU, GOD!

JACK: IF HE WASN'T AFRAID -

DAVEY: EXACTLY!

JACK & DAVEY: HE KNOWS WE'RE WINNING

JACK, DAVEY, KATHERINE, AND LES: GET THOSE KIDS TO SEE WE'RE CIRCLING VICTORY
AND WATCH WHAT HAPPENS WE'RE DOING SOMETHING NO ONE'S EVEN TRIED
AND YES, WE'RE TERRIFIED BUT WATCH WHAT HAPPENS

JACK: YOU CAN'T UNDO THE PAST

DAVEY: SO JUST MOVE ON

DAVEY & KATHERINE: AND STAY ON TRACK

LES: STAY ON TRACK

JACK, DAVEY, KATHERINE, AND LES: 'CAUSE HUMPTY DUMPTY IS ABOUT TO CRACK

KATHERINE: WE'VE GOT FAITH!

DAVEY: WE'VE GOT THE PLAN!

LES: AND WE'VE GOT JACK!

JACK, DAVEY, KATHERINE, AND LES: SO JUST WATCH WHAT HAPPENS...WE'RE BACK!

LES: And I've got a date!