Chapter 15: King of New York

KATHERINE'S POV:

She had breakfast with Darcy and Bill as usual, then headed over to Jacobi's Deli where she knew the Newsies would be hanging out.

KATHERINE: Good morning, gentlemen. Would you get a load of these glum mugs? Can these be the same boys who made the front page of the New York Sun?

ROMEO: Lemme see! Lemme see!

FINCH: Look at that!?

RACE: Would you look at it? Dat's me! Dat's me!

ROMEO: Where's me? Where's me?

BUTTONS: Wait till my old man gets a load of dis. I won't be last in line for the tub tonight.

DAVEY: You got us in the pape?

KATHERINE: You got yourself in the pape.

MUSH: "Newsies Stop the World"- now, there's a headline even Elmer could sell!

ELMER: Hey!

SPECS: What else do you get?

KATHERINE: Mine's the only story that ran. Pulitzer declared a blackout on strike news, so even I'm shut down now. I heard they arrested Crutchie. Did they get Jack too?

ALBERT: The Delancey's are spreading a story that he took it on the lam, first sight of the cops.

LES: Jack doesn't run from no fight!

ALBERT: Take it down, short-stop. I'm just reportin' the news.

RACE: For jumpin' Jack's sake. Can you stow the seriosity long enough to drink at the moment? I'm famous!

HENRY: Yeah. What of it?

RACE: Are you stupid or what? When You're famous, the world is your erster!

HENRY: You're what?

RACE: Your erster! Your erster! Your fancy clam with a pearl inside.

HENRY: How much does bein' famous pay?

RACE: Ya don't need money when you're famous. They give ya whatever ya want gratis!

Some people did give my father whatever he wanted, but he still had to pay for some things.

HENRY: Such as...?

RACE: A PAIR OF NEW SHOES WITH MATCHIN' LACES...

ROMEO: A PERMANENT BOX AT THE SHEEPSHEAD RACES...

HENRY: PASTRAMI ON RYE WITH A SOUR PICKLE...

All he wants is a sandwich. Poor Newsies.

FINCH: MY PUSS ON A WOODEN NICKEL.

RACE: LOOK AT ME: I'M THE KING OF NEW YORK! SUDDENLY I'M RESPECTABLE, STARING RIGHT AT' CHA, LOUSY WITH STA'CHA.

ALBERT: NOBBIN' WITH ALL THE MUCKETY- MUCKS, I BEEN BLOWING MY DOUGH AND GOIN' DELUXE.

RACE: AND THERE I BE! AIN'T I PRETTY?

RACE, HENRY: IT'S MY CITY. I'M THE KING OF NEW YORK!

JO JO: A SOLID GOLD WATCH WITH A CHAIN TO TWIRL IT...

LES: MY VERY OWN BED AND A INDOOR TERLET...

MUSH: A BARBERSHOP HAIRCUT THAT COSTS A QUARTER...

DAVEY: A REGULAR BEAT FOR THE STAR REPORTER!

RACE: AM-SCRAY, PUNK, SHE'S THE KING OF NEW YORK!

Me?

KATHERINE: WHO'D'A THUNK! I'M THE KING OF NEW YORK!

NEWSIES: WE WERE SUNK, PALE AND PITIFUL,

KATHERINE: BUNCH OF WET NOODLES,

KATHERINE & NEWSIES: PULITZER'S POODLES.

LES: ALMOST ABOUT TO DROWN IN THE DRINK,

BUTTONS: WHEN SHE FISHED US OUT

RACE: AND DROWNED US IN INK!

KATHERINE: SO LET'S GET DRUNK!

Not literally.

NEWSIES: YEAH!

KATHERINE: NOT WITH LIQUOR. FAME WORKS QUICKER WHEN YOU ARE KING OF NEW YORK.

NEWSIES: I GOTTA BE EITHER DEAD OR DREAMIN', 'CAUSE LOOK AT THAT PAPE WITH MY FACE BEAMIN'. TOMORROW THEY MAY WRAP FISHES IN IT, BUT I WAS A STAR FOR ONE WHOLE MINUTE!
LOOK AT ME! I'M THE KING OF NEW YORK! WAIT AND SEE: THIS GONNA MAKE BOTH DELANCEY'S PEE IN THEIR PANT-SIES. FLASHPOTS ARE SHOOTIN' BRIGHT AS THE SUN! I'M ONE HIGHFALUTIN' SON-OF-A-GUN! I GUARANTEE: THOUGH I CRAPPED OUT, I AIN'T TAPPED OUT! I'M THE KING OF NEW- FRIENDS MAY FLEE. LET 'EM DITCH 'YA! SNAP ONE PITCH, YOU'RE THE KING OF NEW-
HISTORY! FRONTPAGE STORY, GUTS AND GLORY, I'M THE KING... OF NEW YORK!