13. water

"okay, the appointment is at twelve, right?" hope asked thomas who was sitting on the edge of the bed.

"yeah, you almost ready?" he questioned.

"mhm, let me just-"

"was that..?"

"my water just broke." hope laughed nervously.

"why are you laughing?" thomas asked frantically, jumping up from the bed and grabbing the hospital bag sitting by their bedroom door.

"because im scared." hope yelled. she struggled getting up from her vanity, ultimately having thomas help her.

"we're having a baby." thomas whispered to himself.

"we're having our baby." hope assured, a smile on her face.

"okay, let's go." thomas said, grabbing her hand and helping her out to the car. he shoved the hospital bag into the backseat and started driving to the hospital.

"im scared, thomas. what if something happens to the baby?" hope asked.

"nothing will happen to the baby, i promise." thomas grabbed hope's hand and squeezed it, assuring her it was fine.

"let go of my hand." hope grumbled. thomas nodded his head and focused on the road.

"never mind give me your hand." hope whined, her face scrunching up in pain.

"contraction?" thomas asked.

"mhm, yep. my god it hurts so bad." hope frowned, still holding onto thomas' hand.

"how long have they been apart?" thomas questioned.

"like ten minutes. i wanted to wait until they were closer apart but now that my water broke, i just need to be in the doctors hands." hope told him.

"we're almost there, just take deep breaths." thomas said. he parked the car and helped hope into the emergency room.

"hi, my wife's going into labor. her water broke and her contractions are like, ten? yeah, ten minutes apart." thomas told the lady, sitting at the front desk.

the lady called for nurses and grabbed a wheelchair for hope to sit in.

"can you tell me your name?" the lady asked.

"hope welsh." she replied, groaning in pain.

"alright hope, how old are you?"

"twenty." hope replied.

"okay, thank you. i'll have your boyfriend fill out the rest once you get to the room." the lady said, handing her off to the nurse.

"okay hope, how far along are you?" the nurse asked.

"forty-one weeks. i've been trying everything to speed up labor but nothing was working so we were originally going to get my water broke today but the baby had other plans." hope chuckled, placing her right hand on top of her stomach, her left hand still holding onto thomas' hand.

"okay, hope, once we get you into the room, we'll see how far you're dilated and get you hooked up to some iv's. do you plan on getting an epidural?" the nurse asked.

"god yes, i can't stand this kind of pain." hope sighed.

"alright, do you mind helping her change into this and helping me get her into the bed?" the nurse asked thomas.

"yeah." he took the hospital gown from the nurse as she started getting the iv's ready. hope changed out of her clothes and changed into the gown.

"ugh, i hate the color green." hope frowned.

"i feel you." the nurse said, smiling. she helped hope get onto the bed and she put the iv's in.

"alright, let me go get the doctor and we'll see how far you've dilated and get you that epidural. i'll be back." the nurse left the room and hope looked over at thomas with wide eyes.

"thomas, go get the nurse. i think this baby is coming right now."