─Chapter Eleven

Story: The Titans of Secrets
Chapter Eleven: The Nightmare

The night was cold and foreboding as Dragonfly leaped from one building to the other.

"Good evening, Lady Dragon!" Shade greeted, leaping from the other side to run with her.

"Shut it, Shade," Dragonfly snorted, slightly breathless from running on rooftops.

"I'm hurt. I thought you liked your nickname from me." When he received nothing but a glare from his partner, he cleared his throat. "Now, where do you think the culprit is?" Shade asked.

Dragonfly paused then pointed her wand at a pole and an invisible string tied itself to the pole. She used that and got down to the ground, Shade following her example.

Hastening to a dark alleyway, she hid in the darkness.

"They are probably going to try to sneak in," Dragonfly replied in a whisper.

The pair of Unspeakables were on a mission to catch an 'imposter' who was set to 'steal' a valuable goblet from under their eyes. It was more like a training session to both of them to face the true reality.

"Shall I get to the front door and keep a watch, then?" Shade asked.

"No. We must stay in the shadows and when we see or hear any movement, then we must act," Dragonfly explained. Shade nodded.

It was after ten minutes, when the moon's halo was the only source of illumination, that a black figure jumped in front of the opposing building of the stimulation room.

"Now!" Dragonfly whisper-shouted and Shade hurried past her. The figure turned around and sent a stunner towards Shade. He narrowly blocked it and sent another stunner of his own at the figure. An invisible shield bounced the spell off, nearly hitting Shade. Thankfully, he ducked down at the last moment and avoided it.

"Reducto!" Dragonfly shrieked. The curse hit a nearby pole, causing metal ashes to rain down on the figure. Taking this as the moment, she shouted, "Stupefy!" The beam left her wand and hit the figure and it fell to the ground, limp.

A small applause was heard and the two Unspeakables-in-making wheeled around to see Blackburn.

"That is a good improvement, Dragonfly. As for you, Shade, from now on you're going to have to think. There's a reason why we're born with brains in our heads, not rocks," Blackburn stated. Shade hung his head low lightly and Dragonfly smiled reassuringly at him.

Practice sessions like this had been going on for almost a week. It was only their fifth day through the test. Although tiring, Dragonfly loved the challenge which came with it. Shade, on the other hand, was a bit of a slow learner.

Finally, Blackburn nodded and left in a blur of darkness. Dragonfly turned to her partner.

"It's okay. I was like that at the start too," she reassured. Shade shrugged.

"I suck at magic. You have bettered yourself. I'm still the same."

"Do not lower yourself, Shade. You have been a valiant partner."

Shade smiled gratefully at her. "Thanks, Miss Fly Did you know that you are amazing?" Dragonfly snorted.

"Shut it. I'm tired of you flirting."

"Then just say yes to my question!"

"No."

"Please?"

"This is getting annoying. Anyways, let's meet up tomorrow for our training, alright?" Dragonfly asked with a wink that left her partner gasping for breath and nodding like a fool. "Good night, Shady." With that, she was gone.