Chapter 2 : The Peashooter

I walked toward Peashooter and his group of friends.
I didn't know what to say, but maybe I could blend in and make myself part of the group.
Oh who was I kidding? Nothing I say would matter. I began to turn until I heard his voice.
"Dandelion? What's up?"
For some reason his voice was so relaxing. The most soothing sound I ever heard. I know it was kind of pathetic, but I could imagine his voice over and over instead of counting from ten.
"Oh, n-nothing really," I said. "Just sightseeing."
"Nice," he said. "These are a few plants in my battalion for the mission tomorrow." He gestured to his friends. A couple chompers and kernel corns.
I waved at them. "You guys are awesome."
Peashooter laughed. "Where's your friend, Wildflower?"
"I'm not sure," I said. "He probably went off to hangout with his own friends until the mission tomorrow."
"True," said Peashooter. "We have a long day tomorrow."
"Lots of zombies to eat!" Chomper rubbed his belly and hung his head low.
"Is this your first mission?" All eyes were on me as Peashooter asked. I guess it was obvious or made sense. All dandelions didn't return from war.
"Uh... yeah." I lied.
"No worries," said Peashooter. "I'm sure you'll be great. Wildflower will help you out too."
I smiled at him, although I was screaming on the inside. I counted down from ten. There was no way I was going to explode here and now in front of Peashooter.
Goodness, if I told the truth they would probably think I'm the most useless dandelion ever.
"I'll watch your back," I said with a shaky laugh.
"I appreciate it," said Peashooter as he turned to talk to his friends again.
Ugh, I'm so stupid. Clearly, it was time for me to leave. There was no point in continuing the conversation when they went back to whatever they were doing.
I wasn't needed.
I walked around the backyard, listening to some other plants, but my mind kept wandering back to Peashooter.
At least he was nice. I couldn't expect much from him since I was only a dandelion. Nobody expected anything from us except one thing.
"Dee?" It was Wildflower.
"Hi again," I said. "I thought you were hanging out with your friends."
"Yeah, yeah," he said as he looked away and rubbed the back of his head. "They were cool and all."
"Why are you back here?"
"Oh," he said, in his raspy voice. "I just needed some air and I was walking by and saw you here."
"Look, I'm not interested in being your little boom bloom."
"I get that," he said. "But can I ask why?"
"Why? Because I don't want to," I said. "There has to be more for dandelions than this."
He stared at me for a moment. Hopefully that was enough to keep him from asking me more questions.
"I'm sorry," he said. "Maybe we got off on the wrong foot. So, I got you this salt crystal."
He unwrapped a used napkin and handed me the salt crystal. It was kind of bigger than I expected and translucent.
"Oh, thank you."
"It was either that or a taco," said Wildflower. "I ate the taco though."
I laughed. "Well, no one has ever given me anything before. I will hold onto this."
"Sorry."
"What are you sorry for?"
"Just that no one's given you a gift before." He stared at the ground, but quickly raised his head. "Whatever, how do you feel about stopping by Giddy Park and killing some brown coats?"
"Killing more zombies? Can't we just wait until the mission tomorrow?"
"Come on, it'll be fun!"
I groaned, but he seemed really excited so I just followed after him. We passed a few plants on the way to Giddy Park. It was ginormous with a ton of booths and a large Ferris wheel in the center.
Wildflower ended up killing some brown coats while I stayed behind him and watched.
After each vanquish he would laugh maniacally before moving deeper into the park, closer to the Zombie Headquarters.
"Maybe we should stay back," I said. "We don't have enough support in case something happens."
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "I do this all the time."
"With your friends?"
"Yeah..." He shot some more brown coats while I watched. He would even run up and slap the zombies and finish them off with his dual shooting.
"Did you see that, Dee?" He smiled at me and I nodded.
"Great, but can we please go? I don't want anything to happen."
"Nothing's going to happen," said Wildflower. "Plus you can protect me in one go anyway."
"Is that what this was about?"
"I'm just saying," he said.
"You used me?" I shook my head. "I'm not some bomb to just use whenever you want."
"No— that's not... I'm sorry."
"That's what it sounds like," I said. "I'm going back to the manor."
I was sick of it. Always being treated like an object when I was so much more. I went back up to Dave's Manor and walked around the grounds. There was no point making friends I guess, especially when Wildflower already proved he was only using me to save his own stem.
There were other dandelions walking around in groups talking to each other and I joined them so I wouldn't be alone.
"Let's go watch the other plants do their training," said a dandelion and most of them agreed.
I wasn't even interested in watching, until I noticed a certain peashooter.
All the dandelions hung out in the back while the other plants were practicing. I kept my eyes on Peashooter as he jumped around the area, shooting zombie dummies in the face. He kept getting perfect headshots. He was so good.
I smiled as I watched, not even noticing a random chili bean bomb rolling up and exploding.
A couple of dandelions exploded in front of me while the rest were freaking out, but I remained calm.
"Oh no," said one dandelion. "I think I'm gonna explode!"
"Count from ten with me," I said, getting in front of them and starting some breathing practices.
They were breathing frantically and a few others were crying.
One of the dandelions blew up.
"OH NO!"
"Count with me!" I looked them in the eyes and helped them focus on their breathing. "Everyone look at me. Do what I do!"
I showed my breathing and the dandelions mimicked me. I remained calm despite lamenting the ones that blew up. They didn't even get to finish the rest of the day or start the mission tomorrow.
"That was so scary," said another dandelion.
"Count with me," I said. "Breathe. Ten... Nine..."
"I'm so sorry!" Peashooter ran toward us. "My chili bean bomb missed the target! Is everyone okay?"
We finished counting down and I turned to face Peashooter. "A few of them blew up, but I'm helping the others calm down."
"You're a lifesaver, Dee," said Peashooter. "How are you so calm? You don't even look spooked."
I shrugged. "I'm not sure."
"Dee, you're a lifesaver!" The dandelions chanted.
"It's no problem," I said. "Just keep breathing deeply and counting."
After that they all ended up walking off leaving me alone with Peashooter. He was even looking at me.
"Dee, that was really impressive, you're quick to help plants," he said. "I'm still sorry about the chili bean. It was supposed to hit the target."
"I understand," I said.
He looked down at his leaves. "I just feel bad. I accidentally made some dandelions explode and it wasn't my intention."
I didn't know what to say, I was sort of glad he felt bad about losing some of them.
"It happens," I said. "It's what we do."
We ended up walking along the grass in the backyard. Peashooter looked down at me and said, "I wish that wasn't the case."
"Really?"
He nodded. "Maybe you should stay back for the mission."
"I couldn't possibly."
"I don't think it'll be worth it," he said in a low voice.
"Plants look out for each other," I said.
"After meeting you and what just happened I don't want you to go through this."
I stopped and stared at him. "Really?"
"I'm probably not cut out to be a leader letting all of you just die for us."
"It's not your fault."
"It is." He looked away. "I never stopped to think about what it's like. All the dandelions we've lost are countless, and after Suburbia it all feels in vain."
"Pea." I raised a hand to try and console him, but stopped.
"I'm going to cancel all the dandelions from going," said Peashooter.
I stood in shock, not knowing what to say or do. Part of me was glad that he wanted to protect dandelions, but the other part was concerned for the dandelions that looked forward to the mission. There had to be another way or something.
Peashooter walked toward Major Sweetie, presumably to tell her about calling off the dandelions. I didn't know what to do.
I guess I really didn't have to do anything anymore.
When I looked around, a bunch of the other dandelions were talking amongst each other.
"Did you hear?" I asked as I walked toward them.
"Hear what?"
"Peashooter is gonna let us stay back so we don't have to go to war," I said.
They looked around at each other, puzzled. "Then how are we supposed to help?"