EIGHT.

E I G H T

E I G H T .

Mick watched his girlfriend, standing against the wall with the balcony doors open, as she slept on the rumpled white bed sheets. Her leg was hooked over the bedsheet with her face buried in the soft pillows, her hair was sprawled out around her and her back was on display for him. He could see the redness from the fire, her arms were coated with a small layer of cream that he'd applied when he woke up.

He cleared his throat quietly, not wanting to disturb his sleeping beauty. Gathering his clothes, he took another look at her before walking out his hotel room.

It was early in the morning when Max opened his door to the Haas driver, his eyebrows frowned as he looked at the younger driver, before he opened the door wider and held his hand out for him.

Mick sat down on the couch, rubbing his face with his hands, "I'm sorry, for hitting you, I just," he swallowed loudly, not knowing exactly why he was here.

"Mick, I saw the fire, the whole world saw the fire, no one blames you for the way you acted."

Mick lifted his head to Max, to which Max inhaled deeply. His eyes were rimmed red with black rings resting deeply into his face, "I don't know, I don't know how to look at her."

"What?"

"I can't," he huffed out a tired breath as despair etched on his face, "Every time I look at her," his voice shook as he spoke, "I love her, and she nearly died, I couldn't do anything."

Max looked at the other racer with his jaw clenched, not knowing how to comfort him, not even sure why he came to him. "What do you want from me Mick?"

"I need you to tell me how I can look her."

Max sighed and handed the blond a bottle of water, "I can't tell you that, you love her, and there's always going to be that threat with both of you in the sport."

Mick stood up and nodded at Max, smiling slightly at him. The Red Bull driver  shook his head with a frown when Mick left, upset with his behaviour.

Amelia woke up when Mick opened the hotel door, causing her to turn onto her back and flinch. The blond rushed towards her, lifting her slightly so she wasn't resting on her back.

"Mick I'm okay," she smiled softly at him, but her smile soon dropped when she saw the look on her boyfriends face. "Are you okay?"

He stood slowly from the bed, resuming his position against the balcony doors, taking in the cool wind. "I almost lost you."

Amelia tilted her head and started to walk towards her boyfriend, the bed sheet wrapped around her body.

"Don't," he held his hand to her, stopping her from pulling him closer.

"Mick," she ignored what he was trying to do and instead intertwined her fingers with his hand, falling towards him so they were chest to chest. "I'm right here, Schatz." She pulled his face closer to her, begging him to look her in the eyes.

Mick stared down at her, defeat hanging onto his face, he leaned down and softly kissed her, resting his free hand upon her waist. "I love you, y'know," he whispered so gently against her lips that it made her shiver, a smile gracing her face. "Can't ever loose you," he muttered, as though the words were supposed to be subconscious.

Amelia pulled back from Mick, her eyes going over his face, "You won't," she smiled up at him, trying to reassure him when she wasn't even reassured herself.

"Marry me," Mick whispered to her, soaking up their own bubble, the words hung heavy in the air as Amelia breathed in, "I've loved you since the moment you walked into that hotel room behind your father, and I spent years building up the courage to talk to you again, I don't want to loose you now, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I always have, and I always will."

Amelia shifted her weight from one leg to the other, she frowned slightly when she saw the tears building up in his eyes. "I'd marry you in a heart beat."