Come back to me (Stefan)

𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐟𝐚𝐧 𝐒𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐱 𝐆𝐍 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫

(𝐈 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐥𝐫 𝐛𝐭𝐰)

𝐓𝐖: 𝐕𝐢𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞, 𝐬𝐚𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬, 𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟-𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐦 (𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟)

𝐘/𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐟𝐚𝐧.𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐟𝐚𝐧 𝐠𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐚 𝐑𝐢𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐠𝐞, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐘/𝐧 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐡𝐢𝐦 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐡𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐨𝐧.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn’t see anything at first. I could just hear the pitter-pattering of the rain. The door shut behind me, locking me in the darkness. I held up my hunting knife, slowly moving towards the light switch. 

“Boo,” Stefan said softly, appearing in front of me as I turned on the lights. I screamed and waved my dagger at him. He winced and stumbled back, holding his arm, now soaked with blood. 

“Stop!” I told him. “It’s me, it’s Y/N.”

“I thought I told you to let me go.”

“Stefan, please. Come back. Turn your emotions back on. We all need you. I need you.”

“And I’m supposed to care?” Stefan said coldly. Damon and I had traced Stefan to a cabin a few hours outside of Mystic Falls the day before. He was off the rails, worse than I’d ever seen him. He disappeared a few nights earlier, leaving a trail of bodies across Virginia. 

“Look at yourself. There are 47 bodies, that we know of. You killed 47 people. 94 people lost a child. 47 families will never be the same again. You did that.”

“Let’s make that 48.” Stefan sped towards me in a blur.

Out of instinct, I held out my hands. “Ossox!” I shouted, feeling the magic flow through my body. The all-too-familiar sound of a neck snapping was heard as Stefan collapsed. 

I gasped, not fully comprehending what I had done until Stefan’s body hit the floor. 

“Y/N!” Damon shouted, speeding into the room. 

“I’m okay,” I said softly, still staring at Stefan. 

“Is he…?”

“It didn’t work. He attacked me, and I had to snap his neck.”

I sunk to the floor, cradling Stefan’s head in my lap. 

“You need to go,”  Damon said, putting his hand on my shoulder. 

“I want to stay.”

“Stefan’s gonna wake up soon, and he’ll be pissed. You couldn’t bring him back, so we’re gonna have to do this the old-fashioned way. I don’t think you’re gonna want to see that.” 

“Alright.” I kissed his forehead and whispered, “I love you,” into his ear. I got up and walked to the other room. 

I fiddled with my wedding ring as I watched it pour outside the cabin. I could hear my heart beating as I fought back tears. I needed comfort, I needed help. I spotted a large puddle and got an idea. 

I went outside and placed my wedding ring in the puddle. I dipped my fingertips in and whispered, “Ostende mihi historiam tuam.”

The freezing rain dissipated as I was transported back to two years before. Stefan stood in front of me. His eyes were shiny with tears, and he had a genuine smile. We stood on the altar in front of everyone important to us, prepared to take the next step.

“Your vows?” the minister asked Stefan.

“Y/N, from the minute I met you, I knew that you’d always be there for me. Even at my worst, you have never given up, and that is the person I want by my side, the person that can always, even in my darkest times, pull me back to the light. I love you more than any ripper binge. I promise to always come back to you. You are my humanity.”

The memory dissipated, returning me to the rainy night. I could feel the rain seeping into my clothes. I shivered as I got into my car before breaking down. I wasn’t enough to bring Stefan back. Our love wasn’t stronger than his urges. All of the crap that he said that day was a lie. I wasn’t enough for him. I wasn’t important enough to get Stefan to fight back. 

The door to the cabin burst open, and a blurry figure sped out. I leaped out of the car and thrust my hand toward them. Stefan stopped immediately clutching his head in pain. 

Ignem,” I yelled, waving my hand. A circle of fire wrapped around us, roaring despite the rain. 

“Let me out, Y/N. You know I can beat you.”

“I don’t need to fight you. I need you to come back.” I unsheathed the small hunting knife on my hip.

“Is that supposed to scare me?”

“No. This is,” I said, putting the blade to my neck. “Turn it on.” I pushed the tip closer to my neck. “You are my life, Stefan. If I don’t have you, I don’t have anyone. Turn it back on.” Stefan’s face stayed blank. I slowly pressed the knife into my neck. Tears welled up in my eyes. “I love you, Stefan.” I saw his lower lip tremble slightly, and his eyes got shiny, but his face was still stony. I squeezed my eyes shut as the knife pierced my neck. But before I could dig it deeper, I was tackled. 

Stefan lay above me, tears streaming down his face. I buried my face into his shoulder, hugging him tightly. 

“I’m sorry, Y/N. I’m so sorry,” Stefan whispered. 

“I love you so much,” I sobbed. “Don’t leave me again, okay?”

“I won’t. I promise.”