Flirting (Marcel Gerard)

𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐞𝐥 𝐱 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫

𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬: 𝐧𝐨𝐩𝐞

You were under no illusions that you were as strong as a vampire. You'd trained with human and vampire alike to be as prepared as you could be to face down whatever supernatural creature might come your way. That didn't negate the fact that they were stronger, faster and healed almost instantly. You had to use the few assets at your disposal to their best advantage. That would be your smart mouth and your rather unassuming presence.

You were pretty but not stunning. Curvy, not skinny. Smart, but not a genius. You dressed for comfort over style. Those that didn't know you would see a plain, ordinary girl. An easy target. As Niklaus often told you, never underestimate the element of surprise. You'd used it to your benefit often, much to the regret of the assholes that tried to attack you.

The Mikaelsons actually had enough faith in you to protect yourself that you could live a semi-normal life while still being their friend. You and Rebekah had run into each other during one fateful shopping trip and bonded over a pair of boots. Your fast friendship quickly expanded to include the rest of the family. Sometimes life is weird like that.

Somewhere in the midst of that weird life, Marcel Gerard took an interest in you. It was quite ridiculous really. He was sappy, over the top and completely fantastic. You also figured he was full of shit from the moment he bought you a shot at the bar and called you beautiful.

"What do you want, Marcel?" you asked before downing your drink. It was free after all.

He smiled, distracting you momentarily. "Can't a guy call you beautiful without an ulterior motive, Y/N?"

You shrugged. "A guy? Sure. You? No."

He chuckled. "And what's wrong with me?"

"Nothing. That's the problem." You turned to face him. "Guys like you don't go for girls like me. Trust me."

"You mean strong, brave, take no shit, beautiful, curvy women? You're just my type, gorgeous."

You rolled your eyes and dropped a twenty in the tip jar. "Sell it somewhere else, Marcel. I'm not buying."

And that was just the beginning. The next time you saw him, he'd come to the Mikaelsons' to have a drink with Klaus. He stopped you in the foyer as he entered and you were preparing to leave. "So, what is it? Am I untrustworthy?"

"What?"

"Why won't you believe me when I call you beautiful?"

His dark eyes searched yours and you couldn't help but turn away from his gaze. "I trust you, Marcel. I just wonder at your motivation."

He ran a thumb across your cheek. "Just want to get to know you better, sweetness."

You looked up, wondering if he could possibly have feelings for you only to startle as Klaus's voice echoed through the entryway. "Marcel, I thought I heard you come in. Y/N, is something the matter? I thought you were meeting Kol at the café."

Heat flooded your face and you stepped back to put some space between you and Marcel. You cleared your throat and smiled at the hybrid. "Everything's fine. I was just talking to Marcel."

Klaus narrowed his eyes as his gaze darted between the two of you. "Yes, well, you better hurry before Kol gets bored and causes trouble. Marcel, shall we?"

Marcel's gaze had been on you the entire time. Finally, he looked at his friend. "Yes. Of course. Y/N, I'll see you later."

You responded with no more than a nod and hurried out the door. You thought about discussing the issue with Kol to get his opinion, but decided you'd rather be spared the teasing that such a conversation would undoubtedly bring about. And so, your dance with Marcel continued. He would flatter and flirt and you would parry and dodge.

Klaus was the first besides the two of you to mention it. "As much as it pains me to admit it, I believe Marcel is quite taken with you, Y/N."

"It's Marcel. He's just flirting."

"I don't think so, friend. Not this time."

You didn't even know what to say to that so you said nothing at all. Rebekah was the next to mention Marcel to you. "You and Marcel, huh? I like it. You have my blessing."

As you'd been in the middle of reading a book when she walked into the room and made the pronouncement you blinked a couple of times as you processed her sudden appearance and the topic. "Um...thanks?"

Then there was Kol. "I don't like it, Y/N. I don't trust him."

That surprised you. "Why not?"

"I think he intends to steal you away from us."

"Far be it for me to point out that we don't own Y/N so she can't technically be stolen," Elijah interjected.

Kol frowned. "Not true. People are stolen all the time."

"That's called kidnapping, Kol. I'm pretty sure Marcel doesn't want to kidnap me."

"Well, you-"

Kol was cut off as Elijah stood suddenly as he looked at his phone. "Rebekah and Niklaus are in trouble. We must go at once."

That was how you ended up in the Quarter fighting a small coven of witches and a handful of wolves. What they thought to accomplish, you had no idea. They were just angry and very anti-Mikaelson. It was a common disposition around New Orleans. The fight was tapering off when a heavy hand landed on your shoulder. Without hesitation, you flipped the person that had grabbed you and held the heel of your boot against their throat, ready to press down if needed.

Marcel grinned up at you. "You're so hot when you're angry."

You rolled your eyes and offered the vampire a hand up. "Why do you insist on continuing this endless flirting, Marcel? Don't you have anything better to do?"

He used the grip he still had on your hand to pull you into him and settled his hands on your waist. "But, sweetness, there is nothing better than you." His lips found yours and you melted into him, thinking perhaps he meant all that flirting after all.