Recovery.

(Y/N) pov:

Your eyes start to flutter open. Your muscles ache, and you're still exhausted. You sit up, but doing so resulted in a sharp pain. You persevere and sit up to get a better understanding of where you are and relize that you're in the infirmary.

(Y/N): "How did I end up here? Last thing I remember is...? That's right I passed out while the others helped me. Was that the toll of my Crest?"

(Y/N) then hears footsteps from the hall. He looks towards the door and sees it start to open. Bernadetta then walks in.

Bernadetta: "Thanks again for helping me Dorthea. I'll see you later."

You notice she has a tray of food in hand. She looks at you and just freezes. You give her a small smile.

(Y/N): "Hey Bernie."

She drops the tray as tears well up in her eyes. She then rushes towards you, tackling you into a hug, knocking you off the bed, and burying her head into your chest in the process. You hear rapid footsteps only to see Dorothea.

Dorothea: "Bernie are you alright?!"

She stops in the doorway and smiles.

(Y/N): "Agh, Bernie relax I'm still sore."

You hear her mumble something. You pull her off of you and look her in the eyes.

(Y/N): "What was that?"

Bernadetta: "Please don't do something so reckless like that ever again! You had me worried sick! I-I-I."

You look at her with confusion. She takes a deep breath.

Bernadetta: "I didn't want to lose my best friend, because you used your crest. Why did you even use your crest?"

You look at her blankly. Taking a moment to think of how to word your response.

(Y/N): "You know I lost my dad, my mom passed giving birth to me. My whole life I only had two people I could turn to. The moment dad passed and you were taken away, I had no one to turn to. When we were reunited I finally found you once again."

You fight back tears thinking of what could've been, while avoiding eye contact with her.

(Y/N): "What that man said. The possibilities that ran through my head. I didn't want to lose the last person I could rely on. I didn't want to see you die."

Bernadetta just looks shocked.

(Y/N): "I just want to make sure you're safe, even if I had to die countless, increasingly painful and torturous deaths! I'd do it if it meant ensuring your safety. I guess what he said just made me snap."

You look up at her with tears in your eyes.

(Y/N): "I was desperate to protect the one person I have left. To protect the one person I can trust to show my weakest points to. I was desperate to protect you."

You hug her.

(Y/N): "But I guess I didn't stop to think about how you would've felt if I had died, and for that I can't apologize enough."

Bernadetta: "You don't have to."

You hold her tighter.

Bernadetta: "I can't understand what you went through, and I don't need too. All I need is for you to know that I'll be fine. We can help each other. Together there is nothing we can't do."

You pull away from her.

(Y/N): "You're right. Now how about we get out of here? I'm tired of being cramped up in this infirmary."

Bernadetta: "Of course, but let's take it slow. You were out for a week after all."

(Y/N): "A week huh? Well it looks like I got some catching up to do."

3rd person pov:

They head out as Dorothea looks at them.

Dorothea: "They belong together."

An image of (Y/N) standing in front of Bernadetta shows.

Dorothea: "The string, protective warrior."

A scene of Bernadetta holding a crying (Y/N) shows.

Dorothea: "And the kind, and caring heart. I've gotta try to get them together, but how?"

Hey there all long time no update. Sorry, but it was just a case of burnout. Just thought I'd let y'all know that I'm still alive, so don't worry.