CHAPTER -3

It was around 10pm, and the moon had gracefully taken its place in the sky, shining alongside the shimmering stars. It truly was a breathtakingly beautiful night!

Lost in my own thoughts, I found myself in my room when suddenly, there came a gentle knock on the door.

Mrs Amelia, the maid, asked, 'Miss Anna?'

With a normal tone , I replied, 'Come in...'

She carefully pushed the door open and entered the room.

Amelia informed me, 'Mr. and Mrs. Jorden are expecting you to join them for dinner...'

Curious, I asked, 'Mr and Mrs jorden home?'

Armelia confirmed, 'Yes, Miss Anna.'

With a sigh, I responded, 'Hmm... you can go, I will come.'

She gracefully walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

After freshening up, I made my way down the stairs into the hall with the open kitchen.

Mr. and Mrs. Jorden were already seated at the table, patiently waiting. I approached my seat and took a comfortable position. Armelia kindly served me with hot soup and bread.

Physically, I was present, but mentally, I couldn't shake off the slight disturbance in my thoughts. As usual, we had dinner together, and they engaged in discussions about their business meetings throughout.

After dinner, feeling exhausted, all I really wanted was some rest. I bid them good night with the intention of dozing off.

As I entered the room, I couldn't help but feel that familiar sense of feeling that comes over me every night I spend alone in the darkness of my bedroom. I settled down at my study table, turning on the lamp and taking out my diary from the drawer, ready to jot down my thoughts about the day I had just experienced. Maintaining a diary has been a habit of mine since childhood, and it has always brought me a sense of calm. It's amazing how writing can be so therapeutic when you feel like no one else can truly hear you.

Lately, I've been carrying so many thoughts and fears in my mind, day and night. It has started to wear me down, making me feel tired and depleted. Sometimes, it feels like I have nowhere to turn and no one to confide in. But once I finish writing in my diary, it's like a weight is lifted off my shoulders.

After closing my diary, I got up from the table and made my way to the bed. Positioned next to a large window in my room, I loved to gaze at the moon before falling asleep. The night sky always seemed a bit magical to me, with the moon shining dimly and the stars scattered across the darkness. It's a sight that brings me much joy and peace.

With a tired body and a dull face, I  lay down on my bed and caught a glimpse of the moon. Its radiant beams gracefully caressed my face, and my weary eyes drifted off into a peaceful slumber.

Abruptly, an ear-splitting thunderclap shattered the serenity, jolting me from my rest. My surroundings transformed into an unfamiliar, eerie landscape that resembled a dense, foreboding jungle. The wind howled violently, causing the trees to sway recklessly and unleash their branches onto the ground. The absence of the moon amplified the terrifying atmosphere, replacing its serene glow with a menacing gust of wind and thunderous roars. I found myself stranded on a narrow road, flanked on both sides by sinister trees.

A chill engulfed my hand, sending waves of terror coursing through my veins. The encroaching darkness intensified my fear, and in the distance, a voice pierced through the air, calling my name with a mixture of desperation and anguish. It was reminiscent of a young boy's voice, hauntingly familiar from my dreams, yet I had never laid eyes upon his face.

In each dream, his voice pleaded for help, wrenching my heart with its pain. In a feeble attempt, I mustered the strength to respond, shouting that I was here and asking who he was. However, the only response was a deafening silence, the voice growing faint as if retreating into the distance. Driven by an inexplicable instinct, I pressed forward in the direction of the fading voice, my bare feet numbed by the cold, hoping to  meet him today or maybe just see his face

And all of a sudden, I caught the sound of another woman's piercing scream, the kind that sends chills down your spine. Then, as if on cue, the winds ceased their howling and the thunder stopped its rumbling, leaving behind an eerie stillness. The once bustling place now felt deserted, devoid of any sound.

A wave of terror washed over me, rendering my body numb and my hands and feet ice-cold. Trembling uncontrollably, I anxiously awaited what would come next, when suddenly I could hear the faint sound of footsteps approaching me from behind. My eyes shot open in fear, my breathing heavy, and tears welling up in my eyes. I found myself in my bedroom, near the window where I sleep, bathed in the pale light of the moon.

Sweat dripped down my forehead as I realized it was just another terrifying nightmare. The fear of falling back asleep and reliving that haunting dream engulfed me. I yearned for someone by my side, assuring me that everything would be alright. Unfortunately, I had no one to confide in about these nightmares that plagued me. Even if I were to share my fears with Emma or any of my friends, I feared they would simply laugh it off. The uncertainty of their reaction made me feel insecure. And as for my parents, they would likely dismiss it as a mere bad dream, nothing more. But deep down, I knew how the sensation of being consumed by a recurring dream feels.

In that moment, I made a conscious choice to keep this surreal experience to myself, not uttering a word to anyone. Intrigued by the enigmatic grip it had on me, I decided to drink some water and make another attempt at sleep. After all, I had a busy morning ahead with an unusually demanding workload, and in order to tackle it with vigor, I knew I needed ample rest and energy.

Disturbed by my restless thoughts, I struggled to find peace in slumber.

To be continued.......