Chapter 1

I slowly began to awaken from my dream. Everything looked strange, I didn't know where I was. I lay flat in a cocoon of some kind, sealed inside. Awake yet partly asleep. Above me, lights twinkled like stars illuminating the night. A slight hum soothed me. What was happening? Then I realised. Must have had a bad dream, happens sometimes. The device was still in sleep mode, unaware that I had awoken. Lying perfectly still, I strained my ears to hear the slightest sign of noise, but it was pointless. Nothing could penetrate the cocoon. I reached out to stretch, my fingertips brushing against the casing. My fingers dripped with thick mucus.

My body demanded more rest, but there was no time. I probably should have slept before, not like we needed to sleep every day. Not after the Prophet came. There was going to be an announcement by the Prophet himself today. I couldn't miss it, Birthmother would know. She was on my back enough as it was. I didn't need to give her any more reasons. Normally the Prophet just sent representatives, his mouthpieces really. They'd come on the holo and give a speech about how great the Prophet was. Usual stuff. Everyone always ate it all up. Not like we had a choice. You either obeyed or you were a heretic. Faint birdsong began to play in the background. Every waking cycle it was the same. I'd given up trying to change it. I forced my eyes open; they were full of sleepdust.

'Sleep cycle complete,' the machine announced.

I was probably already late. Birthmother would be frothing at the mouth by now, like always. The lights began to brighten slowly as I continuously blinked, clearing my eyes. A message began to appear on the inside of the cocoon, it was golden as if it was written in fire.

May the Prophet bless your day, Ezra Swan. We, at the Children of the Prophet hope you had a sufficient sleep cycle. Remember our mission and rejoice, for humanity has found its purpose in the universe. Remember you must make the right choice. Now, fulfil your divine mission with our blessing and know that our holy leader is watching you, always.

It was the same message I got every waking cycle. The COP was such a weird name for a government, well I thought so anyway. I preferred the old name, EarthGov. When the Prophet won the Unity War, he reorganised everything, the government, the cities, our entire way of life. Europa where I lived was just one of the new Mega Cities that had been created. One of the holy six, Europa, Asa, Alkebulan, New America, La tierra de oro and Uhuru. Everyone was crammed into these cities like bees in a hive, the buildings built tall and wide. Thanks to my Birthmother we live at the very top of one of the many residential spires along with my Wombbrother, Felix. She's the head priest for the city, quite high up in the hierarchy. One of the elite.

The cocoon began to peel open. The slimy metal membrane gave way to me as I stepped out into my room. I shivered slightly as the climate adjusted to my preferred settings. Behind me, the lid began to close. Sealed until I'd sleep again in a few days. My naked body was rapidly covered in tiny machines, they weaved fabric around me, covering me perfectly. The Prophet's servants. Nowadays, nearly every part of life involved them in some way, from them building the city I was in, to the trillions of them in the vast fabrication centres making everything we needed. They were essential for our very existence. I doubted we could function without them now; they were a part of us. My clothes had already been chosen for me as the occasion demanded. The ceremonial robes were dark red, with a large golden triangle at its centre. I didn't understand what the triangle symbolised, Birthmother had tried to explain it to me once, something about hierarchy and order. My mouth opened instinctively as the tiny machines crawled inside. I felt them in my mouth cleaning my teeth and gums with their tiny lasers. After a few seconds my teeth were perfectly clean and polished.

Squeezing past my cocoon, I edged towards the door. It was tight, I breathed in. The cocoon took up nearly all the room. Nobody had a lot of space nowadays, but we had more than most, thanks to Birthmother's position. I stepped out of my room onto the gravity stairs outside. Its blue oscillating light carried me downwards to the communal zone. My nostrils were flooded with the scent of flowers as I entered the communal area. Sunlight streamed in through the large windows above. Birthmother and my Wombbrother Felix sat around the holotable. Her eyes were focused like hawks upon the projector in the centre. Each of them wore the same robes I did. Birthmother's hair was pure white, curled. Her red eyes glanced at me for a second before she turned away, frowning.

'Prophet bless your day,' Felix said, stirring his drink.

'Prophet bless your day as well,' I mumbled back, yawning.

My stomach rumbled; I hadn't eaten for days. I walked over to the nutrigel dispenser, which flavour did I want today? Something meaty like chicken, or maybe something fruity like mango. Hmm, my finger hovered over chicken, but then at the last second switched to banana. It's always been my favourite, well least hated. It didn't taste as fake as the others. The thick liquid slowly made its way out of the machine before splattering into the waiting bowl.

'I told you to be up early, you know it's an important day,' Birthmother glared at me. Her red eyes seemingly staring into my soul. I knew she'd be mad, all she cared about was the Prophet. He always came first.

The dispenser stopped. I grabbed a spoon, picking up the now full bowl, and sat on the pillow next to Felix. He smiled.

'But not late, am I?' I grinned.

'We'll see. Eat that fast or you will be,' Birthmother rolled her eyes, then resumed staring at the holo.