Chapter 7

Crowds of people awaited on either side of the main walkway; a red carpet was laid on the floor. Temple guards everywhere. Probably a million people at least. All here to see my Birthmother, the Head Priest. I heard people chatting in the crowd, some cheered. They held up banners, one read:

Trust in the Prophet, he shall deliver us to our destiny. Make the right choice.

The scent of sweet perfume wafted up my nose, as Birthmother made her way to a small, raised platform. We followed, standing behind, our arms folded.

'Hello, my children, the day has finally come.' She announced, her voice carried over by the floating speakers above. She smiled, lifting her arms up into the air.

The audience cheered and screamed in response.; I placed my hands over my ears.

'I've brought some special people today to watch the announcement with me, here is my birthfamily.' She said gestured to me and Felix. We stood there frozen. Felix's cheeks had turned slightly red.

'My sons, Ezra and Felix.'

They cheered again, even louder this time. Didn't think it was possible.

'Very soon, the Prophet will make his final announcement and humanity will be reborn. I know you will all join me and my family as we take our final test together. For now, I bid you farewell. But I can assure you that I will see you again, after the final test is complete.' She paused. 'May the Prophet save us all,' she chanted. The audience copied. Again, and again, we chanted. Until Birthmother dropped her hands to her side. It stopped, there was silence.

She gestured to us, as we left the platform. We made our way across the red carpet to the Temple. All eyes were on us. I had never felt so special, so... important. I knew it was all down to Birthmother but still. It felt good. Birthmother kept walking up to the barriers every so often, greeting the few lucky ones she selected. I could smell the sacred oils coming from further inside. Some alien herbs maybe. They made my head spin a bit. I staggered forward as people began to scream. But it sounded different, not of happiness but of fear. I glimpsed a man running towards Birthmother. A look of pure hatred in his eyes. He held a dagger in his hand, stretched out in front of him, Birthmother turned around and noticed him running towards her.

He was going to kill her. I shook off the dizziness and rushed forward. I wasn't going to make it in time. She was already dead. He was within striking distance and there was nothing I could do. Birthmother didn't even attempt to move. She stood in place staring at him, as if daring him to attack. He scrambled towards her, his hand outstretched, his dagger just about to penetrate her flesh. I stood there, fixated. Unable to look away. I yelled he looked over at me. But just then, he fell back with a flash as he was hit by multiple laser blasts. He fell to the ground, dead.

Birthmother immediately stepped over his charred body without a care. The crowd cheered.

I felt a wave of relief wash over me. I breathed in deeply. It was so close, had been so close.

'You see the power of the Prophet! Nothing can stop his will; none can harm his people.' She shouted to the crowd. They roared in response. We continued across the carpet.

'She didn't even flinch,' I whispered to Felix.

'Nope, guess faith can protect you.'

'Or she just believes it can.'

'Probably.'

Eventually we made our way inside the Temple, the main hall was massive. I looked around; I couldn't even see the end. It seemed to go on forever. The ceiling was adorned with a painting, it described the Prophet arriving at Earth and being greeted by all. Just a lie, that's not what happened at all. There had been a whole war. Hundreds of people milled around the hall, some priests, some guards and some just worshippers. All eyes turned to get a glimpse of my Birthmother.

After a while we entered the shrine, it was a small circular space made up of two levels. A row of seats hugged the outside of the room. We took our seats on the upper section, able to watch below. More and more people began to mill in, taking all the available seats. The so-called upper class of Europa, funny how there wasn't meant to be classes anymore. The idea persisted regardless. I sat on a plum-coloured seat, it felt soft to the touch. Felix sat to the side of me, Birthmother on the other. Their clothes were just as spectacular as Birthmothers, one wore a bright red holo-dress, it shimmered as she sat down. Another wore a pure white suit, with a white top hat. The lights began to dim. A figure approached the stage. Camera drones floated above, filming everything.

'Today is a day in which you shall all be tested.' The unknown voice announced. 'The day when every person must decide if they are a true believer. If they wish for humanity to ascend or fail as other countless species have before them. But what is the Final Test you may ask? Well, we have a very special guest to explain that. I present to you, the Prophet!' The cameras zoomed in.

The room seemed tense as the audience waited with bated breath. The figure below left the stage. Another figure shuffled forward slowly. I couldn't make out the Prophet, but I did wonder why there was all this secrecy. The lights suddenly turned back on. I was blinded for a second, we all were but then I saw it. The deformed creature approached us; its twisted limbs dragging itself forward. It was covered in pulsating spots, they oozed green slime. A wave of ammonia hit me as it edged closer.

'I appear to you now as my true self. I know that now you are ready to behold my divine image.'

As it dragged itself across the floor, people began to gasp. 'Where is the Prophet? What have you done with him?

'You're a monster!' someone shouted.

Another shouted, 'Abomination! Kill it for the Prophet!'

The creature forced itself up, its mouth opened to reveal a crooked mouth. 'I am the Prophet. Do you not recognise me?' It crowed.

My eyes widened. How was that the Prophet? None of this made any sense, if it was him. Why had he been using a fake image for so long?

There were cries of shock in the audience. I looked over at Birthmother, she had a great smile across her face. She stood up. 'I recognise you. Of course, I do,' She called out.

There was a look of confusion around the room, people began to mutter.

'My most loyal Priest, I am glad that you recognise me for you were one of the first to accept me on your planet. When I called out to you, you answered my call.'

Birthmother began to walk down to the lower platform. She reached out her hand towards the so-called Prophet. It reached out with a metal hand, then emerged from inside its body. Or whatever it was. Ughh, made me feel sick just looking at him. Birthmother grasped it rightly.

'Do you all recognise the Prophet?'

A voice called out, 'He looked different in the holo, what is this?'

'I have many forms. That was just one of them. I thought it would be more pleasing to your eyes, I know your species cares more about appearance than anything else.' He laughed. 'This is how I showed myself to another planet, many years ago. This was pleasing to them. You must cast away your obsession with appearance. Just like, my Head Priest has.'

'I don't believe you. He's a monster,' a man shouted.

'Arrest that man. Nobody questions the Prophet!' Birthmother screamed.

A guard took him away.