Chapter 6

I heard the door open, I pulled off the goggles.

Birthmother stormed into the room. A scowl etched upon her face.

'What are you two doing in here?'

'Umm nothing.' I maintained eye contact. Not daring to blink.

'We were-'Felix began to say.

'You were breaking the Codex. That's what you were doing. I want this destroyed now! Give it to me and I'll pretend this never happened.' She pointed to the game system.

'But...' Felix began to say.

I stood there in silence. So much money and time wasted. For what? Just so the Prophet was happy.

'I don't care how much it cost!'

She crossed her arms. I picked it up and passed it to her.

'Felix get ready to go to the Temple.' She looked back at me, 'You can stay here.'

'Fine.' I snapped.

'Don't you think Ezra should come with us. It'd be good for him. He'd learn a lot; don't you think?' He's already told me he wants to come,' Felix said.

What! I'd never said that. Felix had some explaining to do. Didn't even give me a choice.

Birthmother looked over at me. 'Er... yeah. Course I want to come. It'll be an experience.' I stammered.

'It certainly will.' Birthmother said, seemingly content. 'Be ready in five minutes, the Prophet's servants know what to do.' She left.

I turned to Felix. 'Why did you say that?' I asked.

'I need you. I'm sorry, but I can't go without you. I'm scared,' Felix said.

'Alright, it'll be ok. I'll come,' I said, pulling him in for a hug.

'Thank you,' Felix said.

'We'd better get ready anyway. Just focus on getting through it, I'll be with you every part of it.' I rubbed his shoulder.

I then went back to my room, where I stripped. The Prophet's servants dressed me in the ceremonial dress from this morning, exactly the same. How original.

I heard a knock at the door. 'Yeah?'

Birthmother opened the door, standing just in front of me, 'It looks good on you.' She said.

'Does it?'

'Yes,' she answered.

'I thought we should have a talk. I assume Amy came to see you at work.'

'Yeah, she came.' I glared at her.

'Good, it had to be done. It was best for everyone, no need to keep hurting both of you with dreams of what can never happen.' She shrugged.

'I loved her and ... she loved me,' I snapped.

'I know. But love doesn't determine genetic viability. You know that we have to do as the Prophet instructs, I didn't have a choice. It's the best way.' She reached out for me; I pushed her hand back.

'How do you know that?'

'I just know, I've always believed. I know you do too, deep inside. You hear his voice, the same as I do,' she paused, taking in a deep breath. 'You know I want what's best for you and Felix, right?' She forced a smile.

'Which is what?' I asked.

'For you both to find your purpose like I've found mine.'

'Is working as a conductor not enough? It is what the Prophet chose for me after all.' I laughed.

Her smile faded. 'I know you don't care about that job, your boss got in touch earlier. I know what you did, it's not the first time you've used me to scare people is it. You could be making a greater contribution to the Prophet. I've talked to some people I know; they'll find you a better role. One where you can truly shine.'

'What do you mean?' I bit my lip.

'You'll find out. Anyway, let's go. Our chariot awaits.' She gestured to the door.

The pod was waiting for us outside. Together we stepped into it, it was much larger than the one I used earlier. This was Birthmothers private transport; I'd been in a few times. The Priest Pod as I called it. It was probably about triple the size of the normal pods, pure white both on the inside and outside. I sat down on the cushioned seats. Felix, sat next to me, with Birthmother on the other side.

Felix glanced at me as we sped across the sky. I forced a smile. He sighed and resumed looking out of the window.

I couldn't let him know what she had done to me and Amy. Had to fake it, at least for now. I didn't trust her, she had something planned. I was sure of it. I felt a sense of unease as we made our way to the Grand Temple.

'Hope you're all ready. I've arranged a little surprise for us when we get there,' Birthmother said.

'Good surprise or bad surprise?' Felix asked.

'Good, you're both very privileged. Remember that,' she said.

After some time, we made it to the Grand Temple, stopping just outside. It was truly massive, taking up the space of four residential spires. Easily the biggest structure in the city. I guessed there were at least 700 storeys', each with their own purpose. We landed on a large platform, right next to the main entrance. The VIP spot. I'd only been here a few times, but not for years. It hadn't changed much.

Birthmother stepped out first, flanked by her waiting bodyguards. They wore pure white robes, with a golden mask upon their faces. Holding laser repulses in their hands, they bristled with deadly firepower. We followed as she made her way through the entrance to the main plaza. She stopped as we entered.

'We need to go, Ma'am,' one said.

'Not yet, I want to greet the loyal followers first. I trust that you are able to protect me.'

'Of course, but-'

'Good.'