Chapter 3

I walked out the door onto the walkway, the bright sunlight blinding me. I stopped for a second and breathed in deeply. The air was fresh and crisp as the breeze caressed my face. All the air purifiers ensured that the air had never been so clean. It was pure. I didn't trust my Birthmother one bit, she had something planned. I shook my head, it wasn't going to end well, whatever it was. I looked up at the sky, it was a pale blue, the sun was shining bright. Hundreds of pods were flying in the sky. They were a myriad of different colours, all streaming across the city to their programmed destinations. I stood on the walkway, leaning against the banister, looking down at the city below. I could see specs far below going about their daily lives like ants. I glanced at the device on my arm, 8:55. I was going to be late, I rushed through the walkway, the wind racing through my hair. The gravity lift was just ahead. As soon as I stepped on, I was lifted up until I came to the transit hub. There was nobody else here, just me. The platform was hovering, held perfectly still by the machinery underneath. I pressed the nearby button, summoning a pod. Not many used this platform, it was too far up for most people, they didn't live this high.

After a few minutes, I spotted the transit pod coming towards the platform. It was a dull grey, not that big. About four people could probably fit in, it made a strange whirring sound as it approached. It slowly began to decrease speed before coming to a full stop. I looked around, just me here still. A small hole opened on the side; a robotic arm emerged. I reached out with my arm; quick blast of blue light streamed.

'Ezra Swan recognised, citizen number, 20184726426462,' the robotic voice said.

'Yes, you know who I am. You've scanned me like a thousand times, you stupid thing. Just let me on, I need to get to work,' I groaned.

'Your work commences in a total of ten minutes; you did not allocate enough time for travel. 'You must board immediately to ensure you can fulfil your daily tasks.'

'Yes, I know! Why do you think I'm in a hurry?' I clenched my jaw.

Eventually, the sleek door opened. I scrambled inside. The interior was pure white, on either side of the pod there was a small seating area with a holoprojector in the middle. I sat down on the soft chair feeling myself sinking down into it slightly.

The pod began to move, slowly at first but after a few seconds we were whizzing across the sky to the Mainframe, the place where I worked. I felt a wave of vertigo as we turned tightly. Then again as my body leaned over. I'd been an employee for the last few years, started right after I finished School. They'd assigned me there, just like they did everyone else. Something about my brain patterns. Nice to know some clerics decided my entire life pretty much. I could smell the faint scent of lavender in the pod, it reminded me of my girlfriend, Amy. I hadn't seen her in a few days, we'd both been busy. She'd be busy studying, her face stuck to the Codex probably. We'd known each other since we were young. At school, she'd always been the one who worked hard, whilst I just didn't. I thought back to when we had first kissed a few days ago, her soft lips touching mine in the dead of night. I had planned it so well; nobody could see us. Together we had scampered into a dark alley, double checking that we were alone. But we weren't. There had been so many fights. We hadn't kissed since. Neither of us wanted to go to prison. We weren't genetically matched.

I felt the pod lurch to a stop. One minute left. Kelly was going to be irate.

'You have arrived at the Mainframe, please depart the craft,' the robotic voice droned.

I jumped out onto the landing pad. It made a slight creaking sound as I walked across it. A vast building loomed in front of me. The Mainframe. It looked similar to my apartment spire, all the city did. It was just the size that was different, taking up the space of ten normal spires. The beating heart of all production in Europa. I stood on one of the thousands of small docking platforms that hung off the spire like vines climbing a tree. Hundreds of people milled around me as I made my way briskly to the gravity lift. The air stunk of Yamcucha, the latest stim. I'd never touched the stuff, no way I could hide it from Birthmother. The Prophet had outlawed it of course, but people used it anyway. Most didn't seem to care. The lift buzzed with excitement I entered. A few other people entered after me.

'Level 943 please,' I said.

Immediately we were lifted, well it was more like being thrown up. Felt like it anyway, with so many levels, the speed was somewhat increased. I felt my organs moving around my body as I whizzed up the levels. The air whipped at my face. I could only see a blur, I closed my eyes tight, trying to relax. I had never got used to it; not sure anyone ever did. Some might claim to. I preferred the older versions, less of a feeling of impending death.

It stopped. I was left floating in the air for a second before being released. I stepped off the platform and made my way down the narrow corridor. A blast of cool air hit my face from above. All the doors alongside me were closed tightly, their occupants busy with work. The floor was a dull grey, worn down by countless footsteps. Above, the lights began to turn off behind me, sensing my movement. Room 132, I was getting close at last. After a few more minutes, I eventually reached my workroom. I pulled my arm out to be scanned, a blue light covered my entire arm before it turned red.

'Denied!' the robotic voice responded.

I tried again. 'Denied, please see supervisor.' It repeated.

'Stupid thing, just let me in!' I banged my fist on the door.

Ughh, it was probably buggy like usual.