Chapter 05: Positive Yet Sorrowful

"Loyalty and devotion lead to bravery. Bravery leads to the spirit of self-sacrifice. The spirit of self-sacrifice creates trust in the power of love."
~~~ Marihei Ueshiba

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I-- I think I love you..."

As the confession saturated the air with possibility, Arthur froze; feeling as though disbelief possessed him into speechlessness. With the knowledge of the couple's impending divorce, he just couldn't hold himself back any longer. Without muttering a single syllable, he confidently and eagerly closed the space between them. Before Rick could even register what was happening, their lips gently collided for the first time. Instantaneously did they both feel emerged within unanticipatable euphoria and exhilaration. The only closest comparison would've been the feeling of being completely still, and yet wildly in motion at the same time.

Their soft, warm lips danced in tandem as their bodies heatedly pressed together; their breathing growing heavier the more passionate their actions became. They could taste their shared breath, feel the thud of their combined heartbeat. Rick could never have imagined just how incredibly, and intensely, overwhelming the simple acts could be.

Warmth blossomed in Arthur's chest, almost as though sparks were literally igniting with immense desirability and endearment.

Slowly parting, Arthur rested his forehead upon Rick's with his eyes remaining closed; focused only on their close proximity. Basically everything that made him him engulfed him with yearning. An involuntary smile was plastered to his face; basking in the hopeful possibility of their being together in reality. "I'll forever be yours." he whispered lovingly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the day arrived for Arthur to begin his lengthy deployment, Rick was determined to be there with/for him until the very last second they were allowed. Just thinking of the time span they'd spend apart filled him with a foreshadowing sense of loneliness. Much like the warning  activity of an impending earthquake. He knew very much that the marine was needed to help ensure the safety of other regions while also serving his country. He still couldn't help but wish. Wish for him to save lives in need. Wish for him to be safe while completing the required missions he didn't know of. Wish for him to be able to stay. But he refused to be selfish. So, therefore, Rick kept his anxiety ridden thoughts to himself. Very much not wanting to make his deployment any more taxing than it already would be.

Packing his personal items into his truck, Arthur remained somber as their time together quickly slipped through their fingers like water. Making sure to move as leisurely as he could, he tried to bide their time for as long as possible.

The dreaded moment was then upon them like a pack of wild, hungry dogs. After having closed the door to the back seat, Arthur silently pulled Rick into one last hug. As the seconds slipped away even swifter, Rick's eyes instantly pooled with liquid sorrow; his longing for him to stay grew all the more intense. "Don't worry. This will not be the last you'll see of me." They then shared one final, passionate kiss before the brave sir got into his vehicle and begrudgingly drove away to begin his possibly perilous journey.

As Rick watched his love disappear around a corner, he took a deep breath and wiped away the rebellious tears streaming down his face.

When Arthur reached just ten minutes after his departure, he struggled to keep his emotions under control. No matter what he did, he struggled more and more until the dam finally broke. Or, more accurately, the volcano violently erupted within his heart. Lava and magma dangerously spreading throughout him, to which was made of regret and even guilt. But he had a responsibility to his unit, to his friends, to his country, his commanders and soldiers alike; as well as to protect those not involved with the up coming fights and possible war.  

Taking a deep breath to settle himself, Arthur forced his mind on anything menial topic that could slightly distract him. Turning up the radio a few notches without hearing the song in the slightest, he then began to think of the types of missions he could be assigned. The not knowing worried him as it always had before deployment was upon him.

An observer mission is carried out by unarmed military personnel. Those unarmed soldiers monitor whether the formally belligerent parties in a former conflict area are observing the terms of the peace agreement and the cease-fire.

Peace keeping missions are where military personnel are deployed to separate the aggressive parties, while assuming a passive role. The aim is to win time for a military/political solution. The soldiers work with local authorities and humanitarian aid workers. The main characteristics of peacekeeping missions are~
1) prior consent from the permanent members of the UN Security Council
2) prior consent from local parties
3) absolute neutrality
4) great restraint in using force (Military personnel are only permitted to use force when acting in self-defense.)

In a peace enforcement mission, military personnel are permitted to use force in the interests of ending the conflict. Though these types of missions aren't typically a long-term solution. They are combined with reconstruction programs or full peace agreements.

Blue Helmets are military personnel talking part in U.N. missions; named after their headwear. The blue helmets are a reference to the U.N. flag, which is a white emblem on a blue background. Though there would never be any color blue that could capture his attention like Rick's entrancing eyes.

With a deep breath and a roll of his eyes, Arthur then forced himself to think of the general mission he'd have. To collect, analyze and deliver foreign intelligence and counter-intelligence information to America's leaders so they can make sound decisions to protect their country. To seize or defend advanced naval bases and to conduct such land operations as man be essential to the prosecution of a naval campaign. To make it home safely, to return to Rick as soon as he could.

Taking a deep breath with frustration over his still unoccupied thoughts, the truth then crushed him like being trampled by elephants. This was going to be a very difficult, daunting and over all onerous adventure. The only thing that kept him in the right state of mind was the fact that, no matter how much he was going to be involved in dangerous environments he'd still be remembered as admirable, brave, and ultimately filled with his honor filled actions for the greater good. But no matter how hard he tried, his mind was constantly wandering back to Rick. For the both of them, they thought it was all just intense infatuations. When the reality of Arthur leaving for so long finally settled in their minds, they wished to any and every deity they knew of to help keep Arthur alive and return him home in one piece. To give him a chance to experience something and belong to someone he genuinely had fallen for and could have a future with. Only in that very moment did they realize what their true level of attraction for one another was. How solid their relationship had unexpectedly become.

Some call it dedication, others call it psychotic. Though some think of obsession as a part of life. The definition of obsession is the domination of one's thoughts and feelings by a persistent image, idea, desire, etc. Obsessions can be determined by people around us. Passion is a positive obsession, for example.

Obsession and addiction are so closely tied together that they both are almost exactly the same except for one factor; control.

Power is something else we do not understand about obsession. It takes root so easily and can quickly spread to become something more. Therefore, it is not something to play around with because when it is excited, it will grow and grow until it has reached the top. At that point, obsession can only bring out the worst in a person.

Some people use this word quite frequently and in many cases, their word usage cannot be justified. The actual feeling that they might have is not obsession. Others have such an experience, but they say it is not obsession. It all depends on the perception of things by people and on their understanding of the word. Though, without hesitation, Arthur would easily and without hesitation concede to his new found power obsession with the one man he felt worthy to connect with.