Chapter 06: Responsibility

"Rest is for the weary, sleep is for the dead. I feel like a hungry man eager for the feast!"
-- the Sixth Doctor, "Attack of the Cybermen": Season 22 Episode 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arthur had arrived at his intended destination without much trouble and severely burdensome thoughts to accompany him. When he had settled in within the briefing room, he was able to meet up with the rest of his unit. Those that would be accompanying him were Supervisor Major Christopher Ammon, Staff Sergeant Derek Hale, Master Sergeant Steven Belton, and Sergeant First Class Milo Hanoverian. They were the few appointed to be a classified task force of intelligence.

The moment they all had gathered in the briefing room, it became obvious that something serious had happened. The recruiter's grim facial expression being all the clues they needed. They were then informed of the situation any marine would pray to never happen. For their original mission of peaceful investigation had been terminated. Instead, they were appointed to practically prevent the dreaded World War Three. The reason for the shift in mission was due to the event of an unexpected deadly explosion, killing the entirety of the six member unit Echo-7-4. Suspicions were raised immediately when the reason for their presence was to investigate sketchy, classified endeavors being considered under the orders of North Korean General Kang Chol Hwan. There were concerning information leaks pertaining attack plans on South Korea. It quickly became clear on the reason for the threatening plans.

 The arrival of a major famine led to severe political turmoil as a result of the government's misguided influx of funding to their military exploits. In response to such hardships, many a rebellion broke out all throughout the country. Just after the leak had turned up, the entire team was taken out simultaneously with a hidden bomb in their transport vehicle. With the General's power and influence dwindled dangerously, the only course of actions available that he could see were to either commit to the war path or acquiesce to civility while asking for help. To admit their weaknesses and hand over control to others. Sadly, if you give humans the benefit of the doubt, they'll likely prove you wrong. For the General's pride could never allow such an offence. 

As Arthur and the rest of his comrades were given all the information they would need, all of their thoughts were racing. The fear of war loomed around everyone involved like an impenetrable fog. Though the fear of losing their own lives hadn't even crossed their minds as they absorbed all information given. Death being the least frightening outcome to possibly over take them.

Ah, death. The sweet release from the torment of physical life. You cannot escape it. If you oppose it, you will be overpowered without fail. If you attempt to avoid it, you will inevitably be found. Run. Run wherever you want. But on its appointed time, death will always find you; even if you were in a fortified fortress. If this cruel world was going to allow anyone to live forever, then humans wouldn't have been gifted death.

Every soul will taste death. If you want to know the reality of this life, then go to the graveyards. Go and look at those desolate graves. Go and see who is buried there.

The same governor and the same minister and the same ruler; who, when they used to walk, people used to say: "Move out of his way! Someone great has come!" When they would move, they would in in a cavalcade of limousines. What are their situations today? Their bodies have become the food of insects, and those insects have been eaten by other insects.

Understand the reality of this life. That death is always waiting; always ready to take you into its irreversible embrace. Everyday that grave is calling out: "I am the home of worms! I am the home of insects! I am the home of loneliness! I am the home of darkness! Prepare yourself before you come to me!"

How much longer are we going to revel in this worldly life? Does humankind think that it is just this life and it ends here? No, and neither should they. From dust we all were created. To dust we all will be returned.

In Arthur's extensive relationship with the military, he had gained many impressive abilities and accomplishments. He had attained advanced durability, became incredibly swift, became a master marksmanship, developed a very high pain tolerance, skillful stealth qualities, advanced intellect, and was even an honorable and undoubtable leader. Yet, with all those undeniably superior capabilities to his name and reputation, he valued only one aspect above all else. Honest, kind courage. He knew that if he had the ability to take action against a wrong doing, he had the responsibility to take action.

The biggest and most comforting of his life rules was originally said by Ralph Waldo Emerson. 'In order to learn the most important lessons in life, one must each day surmount a fear.' It was the one fact that enabled him to achieve all that he had.

He knew for certain that if he did not feel genuine fear and admit to himself that it wasn't always a weakness, he'd never have found his way into Rick's overwhelmingly desirable life. He'd never have saved, and protected countless lives down the line.

Even if he could relive his choices to change them for the perceived better, he wouldn't make any decisions different. Arthur felt certain that he didn't truly have choices, nor options, or opportunities to choose from. He'd do what he thought was right; content with the paths he'd taken to get where he was. Every decision he'd ever made led up to that very moment in time. Even with all the mistakes and hardships he'd experienced in life, he'd never trade any of it for a any reason. This was his destiny, and he was determined to live and learn all that he could. For both himself and those he wanted to keep in his own life.