Chapter 17: Trying to Make a Plan

Walking back over to the group, no one noticed Ben's annoyance as Morales drew closer to the seated T-Dog. "How's that signal?" he asked, doing his best to remain calm enough to think properly and escape successfully.

"Like Dixon's brain. Weak." he answered with clear and well deserved hatred towards the still cuffed redneck. In response, Merle then flipped him off without saying a word.

Morales nodded, "Keep trying."

Holding back a scoff of derision, Andrea shook her head. "Why? There's nothing they can do. Not a damn thing."

Arthur wasn't in the mood to deal with her dramatics, but he knew when the truth was spoken. "She has a point. They'd never make it, realistically. We've got to figure this out ourselves." he said, an idea slowly forming as he looked down at the countless corpses.

Merle rolled his eyes. "Good luck with that. These streets ain't safe in this part of town from what I hear." He then zeroed in on Andrea to whom was looking through one of their backpacks. "Ain't that right, sugar-tits?" Arthur scoffed with disgust, hating the putrid man more and more every second he had to be near him. "Hey, Honeybunch. What say you get me out of these cuffs, we go off somewhere and bump some uglies? Gonna die anyway."

"I'd rather." she grumbled with severe revulsion.

"I'd second that." Arthur muttered quietly and to no one in particular.

He snorted slightly, "Rug muncher. I figured as much." he said to himself.

Not listening to the locked up pig, Morales, Rick and Arthur kept on the task of possible routes of escape. "The streets aren't safe." the ex-sheriff repeated as he thought out all they were face with.

"Now there's an understatement." Morales commented grimly.

Rick then voiced his sudden idea. "What about under the streets? The sewers."

Arthur raised his brows with positive consideration. "That sounds like it would be worth a look."

With just as much hope, Morales quickly turned to Glenn. "Check the alley. Try and see if there's any manhole covers."

Showing great haste, the younger sir did as told. Much to his disappointment, all he could see were a few straggler walkers. "I didn't see any. They all must be out on the street where the geeks are." he informed as he ran back over to them.

"Maybe not." Jacqui suddenly said, catching everyone's attention. "Old buildings like this were built in the 20's. Big structures often had drainage tunnels into the sewers in case of flooding down in the subbasements." she explained matter-of-factly.

"How do you know that?" Glenn asked in surprise.

"It's my job-- was. I worked in the city zoning office." she answered, more than grateful for her field of knowledge. Even though Arthur knew she was intelligent, he couldn't help his astonishment as he nodded in agreement with her plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Entering the subbasements, they headed over  to the drainage shaft with hope accompanying them. "This is it? Are you sure?" Morales asked, hesitation hindering his confidence.

"I really scoped this place out the other times I was here." Glenn answered, also not wanting to go into the uncertain darkness. "It's the only thing in the building that goes down. But I've never gone down it. Who'd want to, right?" When they all looked at him with unanimous knowing expressions, his foreboding distaste intensified. "Oh. Great."

"We'll be right behind you." Andrea said in an attempt at comforting him.

But he immediately shook his head. "No, you won't. Not you."

She furrowed her brows, taking the comment personally. "Why not me? Think I can't?" she challenged ignorantly.

Glenn felt his taken aback annoyance grow. "I wasn't--"

"Speak your mind." Rick advised, wanting to know what he was thinking.

After Arthur gave him a nod to comply, Glenn took a deep breath and proceeded. "Look, until now, I always came here by myself. In and out, grab a few things-- no problem. The first time I bring a group, everything goes to shit. No offense. If you want me to go down this gnarly hole, fine. But only if we do it my way." he decided, knowing how crucial it was to have a proper plan for when things go inevitably down hill. "It's tight down there. If I run into something and have to get out quick, I don't want you all jammed up behind me and get me killed. I'll take one person." Just before Rick could offer his services, Glenn stopped him. "Not you. You've got Merle's gun and I've seen you shoot. I'd feel better if you and Arthur were out in that store watching those doors, covering our ass." He then looked at Andrea. "You've got the other gun, so you should go with them." His eyes then landed on Morales. "You'll be my wingman. Jacqui and Ben will stay here. If something happens, yell down to us, get us back up here in a hurry." he concluded, hoping he'd covered every advantage point possible.

Arthur nodded, satisfied with their plan so far. "We got this, Glenn. Good luck on your end." he praised, then led the way back to the store as everyone went to do their appointed tasks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sorry about the gun in your face." Andrea said as they walked into the store.

Rick nodded in complete understanding. "People do things when they're afraid." he replied with not an ounce of animosity towards her. He understood exactly why she did what she did.

"Not that it wasn't entirely unjustified. You did get us into this." she added without care.

Rick studied her for a moment, "If I get us out, would that make up for it?"

"No. But it'd be a start."

Upon hearing her response, Arthur rolled his eyes with hatred and forced himself to stay silent. He knew they'd need to focus on the important and not the trivial. Noticing his wordless annoyance, however, made Rick decide to speak up instead. "Next time though, take the safety off. It won't shoot otherwise." Rick then walked over and taught her of what he meant. "Little red dot means it's ready to fire. You may have occasion to use it." then returned her hand gun. 

Feeling incredibly dumb, she nodded and kept her eyes on the massive horde of walkers trying to get in. "Good to know."