Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"Here you go."

The man behind the counter hands out their food one by one, three plastic containers with burgers and fries inside. The fourth container has some sort of questionable veggie burger that Rosie got and a steaming side of fried pickles. Finally, the man gives them their utensils and a few napkins.

They search for a couple minutes until they find an empty table that isn't covered in an unknown, sticky substance, and then they sit down. Jennie and Rosie take one side of the table, while Krystal and Kai take the other.

Jennie enthusiastically unwraps her burger and bites into it, enjoying the flavors that spill out onto her tongue. It's not the best food in the world, but it brings along fond memories of coming here as a child. She goes for a second bite, but pauses, eyeing Rosie's pleased expression.

Rosie looks too caught up in her food to notice. Her eyes are barely open, cheeks full and puffed up with food. It's cute, distractingly so.

"Do you want one?" Rosie offers, pointing at the pickles with her free hand.

"Sure." That wasn't why she was staring, but oh well.

Jennie plucks one out of the bunch and tentatively places it in her mouth, chewing slowly. Honestly, she sort of expected it to suck, but it's actually good. Really good. She quietly goes to sneak another one and Rosie shoots her a warning look, but doesn't do anything. Jennie happily eats her second one.

"So, how'd you two meet?" Kai asks, while squeezing a disgusting amount of ketchup onto his fries. Just the sight of it gives Jennie bad date flashbacks.

Since Jennie is busy with her third pickle, Rosie answers the question.

"We met at a football game." It's technically the truth, just altered. "It was really romantic, actually. I got injured so Jennie carried me to the nurse. I thought she was really cute and I just had to ask her out."

"Yep. Couldn't resist my charm." Jennie grins and rests a hand on top of Rosie's.

Krystal practically coos at them. "Aww, that's so sweet. It's like you two are in a romance movie."

Jennie nods, subtly going for her sixth pickle. Not so subtle, apparently, because Rosie notices and kicks her in the ankle.

Fuck. Ow.

Jennie resists the urge to glare at her, forcing herself to keep the loving expression on her face even as she tries to deliver a kick back.

Rosie smiles softly. "Yep, it's been—"

Kick.

"—like a dream—"

Kick.

"—dating a girl that's—"

Kick.

"—so sweet." Rosie finishes. Underneath the table, she grabs Jennie's knee and squeezes it until it stills. "How'd you two meet?"

Krystal perks up at the question. "Well, it's a long story, but I'll tell it anyways. So, Kai and I were both at the movie theater going to see A Shark Tale. In different groups, of course. We didn't know each other at the time, but I could already feel a deep connection as we both went for popcorn..."

Jennie blocks the sound of her voice out.

The first hour passes smoothly, with all of them eating their weight in greasy fair food. It's not as awkward as Jennie thought it would be. They talk about school, movies, and football, and go back and forth telling jokes.