Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Jennie manages to sleep for a good, long couple of hours—her dreams plagued by pouty lips and soft brown eyes—before Rosie wakes her up by lightly poking her in the side.

"Hey, sleepyhead. You're up." Rosie says softly as Jennie's eyes flutter open. Jennie blinks and smiles happily at the sight of the other girl laying beside her in bed. "How are you feeling?"

Her body aches quite a bit when she sits up, but the pounding headache she had felt before is now gone. There's a faint pain in her chest, but it's so faint that she can only feel it when she focuses hard on it, and right now, the only thing she has on her mind is Rosie.

"Better." Jennie responds, her voice holding an undeniably rough quality. She clears her throat. She hates how low her voice can get, especially after a long nap.

Rosie beams at her. "Good." 

Jennie lets her body slump back against the bed, a soft sigh passing through her lips, and turns on her side to face Rosie. She's slightly startled by their close proximity, but tries hard not to show it. She should say something, anything at all, but her mind blanks completely as she accidentally brushes her nose against Rosie's.

Rosie tilts her head and her nose scrunches up in response, looking every bit like a little bunny. It's kind of cute, Jennie thinks, watching Rosie fondly.

Very cute, actually.

She can't help but smile at the thought, can't help the quiet chuckle that rises from her throat at the sight of Rosie, even as she tries to clamp down on the sound.

A confused smile grows on Rosie's lips and she raises her eyebrows. "What?"

Jennie just continues to laugh.

"What?" Rosie repeats curiously, pouting.

"Nothing, nothing." Jennie promises, hiding a grin. Rosie huffs in mock annoyance, like she doesn't believe her, but accepts the answer. "It's nothing you have to worry about."

"It's nothing you have to worry about." Rosie mocks in a secretive tone, her voice dropping to imitate Jennie's.

Jennie frowns. "That's not what I sound like."

"Okay."

"It's not."

"I'm agreeing with you."

"You're annoying." Jennie complains, punctuating each word with a little jab to Rosie's stomach that gets her to giggle sweetly. Her heart gives a small, warm tug at the sound.

"And you're a ray of sunshine." Rosie counters playfully, eyes bright, mouth stretched around a helpless grin.

Jennie leans in closer, amused. "Are you ticklish?"

Something close to fear flashes in Rosie's eyes and she subtly attempts to scoot away—it's a badly failed attempt, since her legs get caught in the sheets—from Jennie, her cheeks reddening to a pleasing, dark color.

"No." Rosie says, obviously lying.

A sly grin builds on Jennie's mouth and in the next second she's full on tickling Rosie, attacking her neck and stomach with teasing fingers. Rosie tries to squirm away from her, laughing helplessly all the while, her breathless giggles filling the air and greeting Jennie's ears like music.

Jennie manages to get on top of her and grab her wrists, pressing them down against the mattress firmly so that Rosie has no chance of slipping out from under her.

Rosie looks taken aback by the new position. A glint of surprise shines in her eyes, but it's quickly wiped away with amusement as she throws her head back against the pillows, still shaking with laughter.