5

Two Miracles

River couldn't stop thinking about her and Jake the night before, the fun that they had the night before.

Warlock was in front along with Maverick. "Morning, The Uranium plant that is your target will be operational earlier than expected. Raw Uranium will be delivered to the plant in ten days time. As a result, your mission will be moved up by one week, in order to avoid contaminating the target valley with radiation." Warlock explained. "Oh damn it..." River muttered in concern

"Sir, no one has successfully flown a low level course." Coyote speaks up. "Nevertheless, you've been ordered to move on. Captain." Warlock steps away, calling Maverick up.

"We have one week to focus on phase two. It's the most difficult stage of the mission. It's a pop-up strike with a deep dive requiring nothing less than two consecutive miracles. Two pairs of F-18s will fly in an welded-wing formation. Teamwork, precise coordination of these aircrafts are essential to the mission's success and your survival." Maverick explained as he turns on the screen which depicts the sharp incline, followed by the steep drop, followed by an even more intense incline that they'll be flying on the mission.

"As you know, the plant rests between two mountains. On final approach, you will invert directly into a steep dive. This allows you to maintain the lowest possible altitude and the only possible attack angle. Your target is an impact point less than three meters wide. The two-seat aircraft will paint the target with laser bullseye. The first pair will breech the reaction by dropping the laser-guided bomb on an exposed ventilation hatch. This will create an opening for the second pair. That's miracle number one." Maverick explained.

"The second team, Will deliver the kill shot and destroy the target. That's miracle number two." He added. River and Rooster looked at each other then back at Maverick. "If either team misses the target, the mission is a failure. Egress is a steep high-G climb to avoid hitting this mountain." Maverick finished.

"A steep climb at that speed? You're pulling at least Eight G's." Hangman points out in a concerned tone. "Meaning Nine at Minimum?" River questioned and Maverick nodded at her. "The stress limit of the F-18 is 7.5" Rooster states.

"That's the accepted limit. To survive this mission, you will pull beyond that. Even if it means bending your air frame. You'll be pulling so hard, you'll weigh close to 2000 pounds. Your skull crushing your spine. Your lungs imploding like an elephant is sitting on your chest. Fighting everything you have to keep from blacking out and this is where you'll be at your most vulnerable. This is coffin corner. Assuming you avoid crashing into this mountain, You'll climb straight into enemy's radar, while loosing all of your air speed. Within seconds, you'll be fired upon by enemy SAMs. You've all faced sustained G's before but this is going to take you and your aircraft to the breaking point." Maverick explained.

"Sir, is this even achievable?" River asked with concern. "The answer to that question will come down to the pilot in the box." Maverick responded and River sighed before nodding. "Pilots, prepare for take off. You've been briefed on phase two, time to give it a run." Cyclone said to them from the back. Everyone headed to the locker room. 

"Oh your sister was the hard deck again last night." Payback said. River grunted. "That's it!" River exclaimed as she stormed into the locker room. Which caught everyone off guard at her outburst. "Looks like she might be taking Cyclone's advice." Hangman said. "What's that?" Rooster question. "Locking Harper out of the house." Hangman responded. "Honestly, it's not like she hasn't been home at night been staying elsewhere, besides River is done being nice it looks like." Hangman said and Everyone agreed

...................

Lana sighed after getting home from the hospital from seeing Bob and Phoenix, today was scary, from herself and Coyote going to GLOC to Phoenix and Bob, today was scary. She looked at the keys,  She took the key off of her car keys before she fled, then took the hidden key.

"Cyclone you better be right about this, because I don't know what else to do." Lana said as she stepped into the house and locking both the front and back door, she also locked the windows. Then she turned on the television. 

An hour later, Harper pulled into the driveway and approached the door and it was lock, when she went to grab her house key, that was gone. She looked puzzled for a moment then look at the door. "Hey! Lana, open up!" She exclaimed as she pounded on the door. "I think I'll pass!" Lana exclaimed. Harper eyes widened. "Lana this isn't funny!" Harper yelled. "I don't think I wasn't joking either!" Lana yelled back, as she got up from the couch and went into the kitchen. "Lana, I am a minor, you can't leave me out here!" She yelled. Lana chuckled. Lana knew her sister was going to use that tactic on her. "Oh you don't act like one when you sneak out of the house every damn night, your fine, you'll find somewhere to sleep tonight!" Lana yelled. Harper gasped then grunted.

"I can't stand you Lana!" Harper shouted. "I think we are on the same page, get the picture little sis! I AM NOT PLAYING NICE ANYMORE!" Lana shouted back which caught Harper off guard. "I am teaching you a lesson, lesson you shouldn't be asshole to anyone, you should be grateful, no matter how protective someone is." Lana said. Harper shook her head and stormed to her car, then she drove to Hard deck. 

Lana went and looked out the window, she saw Harper drive off. She sighed. Lana didn't want to do this but she had to let Harper know, she was tired of how she was getting treated.

Lana's phone rang, it was Maverick.

"Hello?" She said as she picked up the phone, Lana walked into the kitchen to find something to snack on.

"Hey Lana, I got bad news." Maverick said. Lana sense something was off with Maverick. "What is it? Are you alright?" Lana questioned him with concern.

"No, I am not alright, it's Iceman." Maverick said which made Lana stop in her place. "What about him, I saw him a few days ago." Lana said.

"He passed away."

..............