9

It's been an honor

Jake and Lana looked at each other. "You are crazy, you know that." Jake said. "But you love my crazy ass." Lana said, Jake gave her that cocky grin. "That I do." He replied. 

"Where's the little sis? Lightning, that fits her so well." Jake said. "It does, she had to take care of some things." Lana said.

....

Harper walked down the halls, she was actually quite terrified, so much was going through her mind as she walked towards the admiral's office

She approached the door, "You can come in Lightning." She heard Cyclone called out. She was puzzled, he was using the callsign that both Her sister and Maverick gave her. She opened the door to find Maverick and Warlock were also in the office. 

"Sir?" She questioned. "You are probably wondering why you were called here." Warlock said to her. "Before you open your mouth, yes I know this was Maverick's idea and it was a success, I have some things to tell you." Cyclone said. 

"We have talked it over with Maverick, would like to get your input on it." Cyclone said and Harper nodded. "How do you feel about River being team leader?" Cyclone asked. 

"Well, she deserving, I am not saying this because she is my sister. My sister is incredible pilot, she was like that when she went to Top Gun, I look up to her, despite how awful I was, At the same time I am scared I am going to lose her but that's a life of a pilot, having fear and strength at the same time but River deserves it." Harper explained.

"Well that settles that, but one more thing. I heard you and River talking. Your interested in going to Top Gun?" Cyclone said which caused Harper's heart to flip. "Yes..." Harper said. "Well, If you sister succeeds this mission as leader, you will be going to Top Gun for sure, Warlock, Myself, Even Maverick and Iceman have recommended you, but this, I will push for it, because just like your sister, your a hell of a pilot, I think you would make a great WSO but that would be up to you at what you think is best for you." Cyclone said. 

"Won't that be unfair to others?" Harper asked. "Not if you been recommend by Admirals." Cyclone said. "Alright." Harper said. "Your dismissed." Cyclone said. Harper nodded. As she headed out the door, Cyclone spoke. "I have say, Lightning... sure as hell fits you." Cyclone said. Harper smiled a bit and shut the door behind her.

.........

"It's been an honor flying with you." Maverick said as he greets the class. River knows fear is roaming the room right now, her eyes wondered to her little sister, fear was written on her face, but she nodded at River before River's eyes wondered back to the front. "Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choices are a reflection of that and nothing more." Maverick finishes.

"Choose your two foxtrot teams." Admiral Simpson orders. "Payback and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob." He responded. "Your wingman." River's eyes closed for a moment. "Rooster." River knew he would be chosen. "Lastly your team leader." Which confused everyone in the room because everyone thought it would be Maverick. Maverick looked at River. "River." Harper looked at her sister proudly. In front of her while, she can see Hangman's slight disappointment. "The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserved role that's required." Admiral Bates instructed. "Dismissed."

River was a little bit of shock, she was team leader.

"Congrats River." Coyote said to her as he gave her a fist bump. "Thanks." She said as she gave him one back and he smiled at her. "Good luck out there, your a badass and I know you got this." Coyote said and she smiled back at him.

..........

The time to target has been set for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. River sighed then her boyfriend approached her. She knew he was disappointed that he wasn't chosen for this mission. Before River could say a word, he pulled her into a hug. "I am so proud of you, you know that." Hangman said as he held onto her. "I'm sorry." River mumbled.

"For what, I am proud of my girl. Getting mission leader. Just come home safely." He mumbled. "I will, also keep an eye on Harper." River said. She pulled away. "I will and also.... Give em hell." Hangman said to her. "You know it." River said. She gave him a kiss on the cheek which caused his cheek to redden. 

She walked over to Rooster. "What's up my Wingman." River said. "Nothing... Team leader.... I'm proud of you." Rooster said to his best friend. She smiled. "That means a lot." River said. She looked over then saw Maverick then she looked back at Rooster. "Go talk to him." River said, Rooster looked over and then nodded at the woman. He left to go talk to Maverick. 

Then River started walking to her plane. "LANA!" She heard someone shout her name. She turned to see Harper running towards her. 

"You okay?" River asked. "I'm scared." Harper said which caused River's heart to drop. "Why?" River asked. "I'm afraid you won't come home or worse, won't make it home." Harper said. River shook her head and then pulled her little sister into a hug.

"Harper, you know me, I am tough. I am scared too but I promise you, I will make home... no matter what, if I am in tough situation.. I will find a way." River said. Harper smiled, Then grabbed River's hand and smacked a pendent into her hand. 

River looked at her sister. "It's a pendent... it has mom's picture inside. You have something of mom on you... come home safely." Harper said. River smile while holding back tears, she pulled her little sister into another hug.

"Please keep an eye on Jake, besides he's looking out for you." River said. Harper chuckled. "I will, stay safe River." Harper said. "You stay calm Lightning." River said with a slight smile. Harper smiled back and walked back inside. River then approached her plane, climbed inside.

She looked at the pendent. "I got this momma...I got this Harper.... I got this Jake."  She said to herself as she put the Pendent inside her pocket.

..........