13

Third POV

Selena waited outside the village inside a car meant to escort athletes to the airport. 

She couldn't keep up with the young skater, he's fast. Now that he is officially done with his event, only Pairs figure skating left, by regulation he can choose to leave Olympic village within 48 hours. He debated if staying in the same place as Catalina was worth the trouble. And of course it is, but he doesn't want to escalate the problem.

Selena's eyes darted up from her phone after hearing the wheels of suitcases. Daishinkan came down the steps with two giant suitcases and his long trench coach flowing behind. He is surprised to see Selena sitting there with her leg stretched out to keep the car door from shutting. 

"Selena?"

"I need to talk to you," Selena said now on her feet.

Daishinkan sighed, but nodded and picked up his things then walked to the trunk of the sedan.  "All right, I'll listen, until I'm done loading my stuff." He slid off his backpack, throwing it in there.  "Will you resign?"

"Seems like it."

"But what happened? You two were doing great, something happened. I know Catalina is tough to handle sometimes, did she disrespect you?" Desperate to find an answer, she waited as he licked his lips and looked up at the night sky. 

"No, Selena, In fact it was the opposite, I disrespected her. I failed your student."

"I-I don't understand.."

"My feelings got in the way and I...I couldn't give her what she wanted." Daishinkan attempted to sound calm when inside he wanted to scream.  "Your feelings? Are you saying you fell in love with Catalina?"

Since the very beginning I saw her sit across my booth at the airport.

No words came out, only the stare he delivered to this Russian woman that isn't oblivious to the answer.  "Shinkan, you didn't fail her. We're in the finals, she's still has a shot. Catalina is like you in so many ways, she does her own thing, she stands up for herself, when she's determined to do something she wont rest until she's succeeded."

Daishinkan placed one suitcase into the trunk, listening to Selena.  "When you got hurt at the Grand Prix and still managed to win gold, it stunned her. When you decided to take your own path without your coach and advance to finals here in Beijing, Catalina couldn't find the words to describe you." Selena turned Daishinkan to face her by his shoulders. 

"You are the reason she can't land the quadruple axel. She's scared of failing before your eyes."

When he felt his nose itch, he brought his gloved fingers to his nose. He left it there, afraid himself he'd start crying.  "You two are fighting for the same goal. Catalina's 23 and wants to win, you want her to win, hell Panama wants her to win. It's a lot of pressure."

"I know, I don't know what to say, I'm just so angry at myself for not doing more." Daishinkan said hoarsely.

"You did your maximum, you succeeded."

"What?"

"Catalina did a quadruple axel, she just fell. But there enough turns. All she needs is to land it. But you have to allow her to do it for the free skate."

He sighed. Looking at his phone once more then finally shoved his last suitcase in.  "Selena, I have to go back to Seoul. It's an emergency. Please don't tell anyone, not even Catalina."

Selena moved out of the way so Daishinkan could climb in the car.  "She'll think you left her."

"Good, because then she'll have to prove me wrong on the ice. That's when I'll surprise her. So please make sure her routine is top notch before I return."

She nodded reaching for handshake.

Catalina's POV

"Oh god he is so mad, so so mad...urgh."

I'm literally beating myself over this. Fuck.  I counted four turns in that axel. I'm so stupid for not getting my ankle treated. 

I have an ankle brace on that I must wear until my final performance which is the day after tomorrow. I haven't received any messages from Daishinkan. I've sent him a few messages trying to apologize. But no reply has reached me.

I hope he doesn't hate me....

¥

The breakfast line for McDonalds is so long it almost took the hunger from me. The smell of oatmeal filled my nostrils and it just was enough to make me salivate.  

"Catalina, hi!"

A blonde woman waved at me, she looked Korean. Like she's waving frantically. Then I almost shat myself, its Chloe Kim. Joined her table where she was accompanied by another snowboarding champion Shaun White.  "Hi you guys. Pleasure to meet you." I shook Shaun's hand as I sat down. 

I'm in the twilight zone right now. This is so exciting.  "Congratulations on advancing to the finals, Benitez." Chloe said with a huge bright smile. 

"Thank you! I'm Super scared though."

"There's a first for everything. Get that medal."

"Where's your coach?" Shaun asked after moments of eating in peace as Chloe and I talked.  "Which one?" I frowned.  "The Korean one." He replied and I nodded hiding a smile.  "Busy I'm assuming. I gotta rehearse for a final today so he has to show up sometime." I shrugged my shoulders.

They looked at each other with concern but decided to not anything more. 

After a bit, I got ready to rehearse my routine. Last chance to make any changes or forever hold my peace. I was now really worried that Daishinkan hasn't communicated with me at all. Okay I get the silent treatment is effective but I think this is a step too far.  I pulled out my phone and dialed his number, it went straight to voicemail.

Taking that as an insult, I blew up his iMessages with angry emoji's. When I reached the lobby I was still on delivered. There were no new posts or tweets on his socials. Nor even the Korean tabloids discussing anything about him.

Selena arrived a few moments later to me crossing my arms like a little girl. 

"Did you eat?"

"Yes."

"Super, let's go rehearse.."

I pull her by the arm gently,  "we have to wait for Daishinkan."

She gave me a puzzled look and I did not like it at all.  "He won't be joining us. He asked me to coach you." She told me sternly. It hit me me harder than the brick that struck Marv from Home Alone.  "Where is he?" I pushed. 

"Flew to South Korea last night."

Oh. I'm sure I thought I was going to faint right here in front of everyone. My voice got shaky and mouth dried up.  "But why?"

"Lina."

"Why?" My voice shook.  "I knew he was angry with me but not enough to leave."

"Hun, I don't know why he left. He didn't say."

Her arm wrapped around my shoulders as she walked beside me. I'm speechless. Not a word could come out and blinking became hard to do. For hours I practiced my free skate to perfection, only without the quadruple axel. That was...someone else's job.

Daishinkan never answered back.

¥

I believe the clock struck 2 am when I heard two knocks my door. Not having the motivation to get up from bed I ignored it. The door shrieked a little as it opened then shut a second later.

My lamp was on which gave me a view of the person who came in. That blonde wild hair let me know it was Karson. My head fell to my chest.

I knew why he was here. Selena probably told him about my coach bailing on me. I started to cry silently, then heard his steps as he shuffled and got in bed.  The sobbing became unbearable once his arms embraced me from behind.  I turned over and cried against his chest.

He squeezed me hard and it only made me more emotional. Though none of us said a a word, Karson understood the pain I felt at this moment.