02 | fights

i'm so sick of seventeen
where's my fucking teen age dream.

i'm so sick of seventeenwhere's my fucking teen age dream

at the curtis household

Ponyboy sat in the dining room, hunched over to get a better look at the small words on the page.

The pages were darker and more ancient, a book that was made in the 20's or 30's. Sodapop fiddling with his DX shirt buttons.

Steve wasn't anywhere to be seen, he hasn't shown his face for two whole days, he didn't even show up for work.

Soda knew what this had to do with, it was Deirdre, he didn't admit it but he missed her, and nobody could ever compare to her.

Darry was still at work, he always was. It wasn't no surprise. Deirdre hasn't made an appearance in the longest time, probably in fear she'll have to see Steve again.

For some odd reason, she knew he moved on. Maybe Soda knew too, he just didn't wanna take sides like he's the middle man. Not again.

Nobody else besides Two-Bit was around, because they were dead. Johnny and Dally.
It saddened Sodapop that he lost his parents then his two best buddies in the same year.

It just wasn't fair, nothing was ever fair for the greasers, but it was for the socs, of course.
Soda leaned his head against the wall, he didn't wanna admit it but he was exhausted.

He also didn't wanna admit how badly it had hurt when his two best friends started to date one another. They just weren't the same after that.

Now they don't even come over anymore, he lost everything he once had. He only has his brothers, and Two-Bit.

At the same time, Two-Bit was becoming like an angry drunk man, it scared the crap outta everyone.

I guess you could say everyone had changed.

And not for the better.

Two wasn't drunk yet, he planned on doing so later on, probably would even get into a few fights. Two-Bit said he got drunk for fun, but everyone knew it was to help store the pain away.

Soda had this itching feeling that he needed to go for a walk, it felt as if he was being stuffed inside some small dollhouse and had no escape.

He opened the front door, but not before Darry stood quickly.

"Where are you going?" He asked bitterly, Darry wasn't the same either. He was more stressed and always fought with Ponyboy.

"A walk." Soda replied, letting the door slam from behind him. Truth is, he wanted to find Steve.

He walked for a little before seeing so figures getting awfully close, which made Soda curious.

He kept walking, then came to an abrupt stop.

Steve.

He took his sweater off and gave it to Heather, a girl that came to the DX almost everyday. They dated in middle school, but that was about it.

Then there was Deirdre, she looked heartbroken, like she wanted to break down sobbing.

She ran off, Soda didn't know what came into him but he punched Steve in the jaw.

"What the hell?" Steve got to his feet and brushed his jeans off with his hands. "Soda?"

"How dare you!" Soda was almost screaming, but he didn't wanna be too much of a bother to the neighborhood.

"What did i do?" Steve rubbed his jawline in agony.
"What did you do? You moved on from Deirdre like it was nothing!"

"So? It's been two weeks, lay off man." Steve grabbed Heathers hand, but not before soda separated them.

"I need to talk to Steve. Alone." He seethed, grabbing Steve's hand and dragging him elsewhere.

"What the fuck man? What was that for?" Steve growled, his lips forming into an angry scowl.

"You and Deirdre have been dating since ninth grade, and you're gonna end those four years now?" Soda squinted his eyes, he didn't want his best friends to hate each other, he just wanted them all to be best friends once more.

"She wasn't right for me..." Steve mumbled, earning a slap from Sodapop.

"Fuck you, she's perfect!" Soda exclaimed. "She's probably even better than that Heather girl."

"Nobody's better than Heather." Steve answered, but he was lying, and he didn't even know it.

"Deirdre is." Soda said before strutting off, grabbing a cigarette and lighting it. He only smoked when he wanted to look cool or to calm his nerves.

This was for his shaky hands and shaky voice. He could kill Steve, how could he say those things about Deirdre?

Soda always liked her, ever since first grade. But it didn't work out, because she liked Steve and he liked her.

Nothing ever worked out for Sodapop.