11 | it's just not the same

Deirdre

The waitress came back with our orders, I sipped on my coke.

"Is that... Two-Bit?" Steve widened his eyes, dropping the burger onto the floor. I thought he was just messing around with us, but Soda's mouth hung wide open. I looked to where they were looking and sure enough, he was right there.

He shaved all his hair off, he wore a black leather jacket and blue jeans. But no Mickey Mouse shirt.

"He's...bald?" I questioned, looking back at Steve.

"Two-Bit was so proud of his hair...why would he shave it?" Steve asked.

"I don't know, but I'm about to find out." Soda sat up, walking over to Two-Bit, who was now yelling at some guy sitting in one of the booths. I didn't know what to expect Two-Bit to do, what if he picked a fight with Soda?

I watched them closely, Two-Bit spun around when Soda tapped his shoulder. "Sodapop?"

"What happened to you?" Soda demanded.

"Nothing happened to me, mind your own business." Two-Bit scoffed, trying to get away from Soda.

"Something definitely did." Soda grabbed Two's arm.

"Get away from me." Two-Bit sneered. "Or I'll kill you."

"You won't kill me, you're drunk Two-Bit!" Soda said.

"So?" Two-Bit smirked. "I don't care."

"You will when you're sober and in jail." Soda warned.

"Maybe." Two-Bit shrugged. "Where's everyone else?"

"Darry's at work, Pony's at home and those two are over there."

"I missed y'all." Two-Bit said suddenly. His mood changed awfully fast, I couldn't lie--I was terrified of him now, drunk people always scared me more than they should.

"Hey." Two-Bit slurred, sitting across from us, a grin creeping onto his lips. I looked at Steve who was holding me closer to him.

"What happened to you?" Steve demanded, just like Soda had.

"Stop asking that, I'm the same Two-Bit you've always known." Two-Bit snapped.

"No you're not, you shaved all your hair off and you act a whole lot different." Steve said back.

"Maybe I like my hair like this." Two-Bit cocked an eyebrow, and that was my breaking point.

I started to cry, the tears fell down my face slowly. "You've all changed!" I yelled, getting out of my part of the booth and started down the street. I couldn't take it, I just wanted everything to be the same again.

It didn't feel real, this felt like a different reality. This isn't real, Johnny's still alive and so is Dally.

I cried too much, I cried for Johnny and fought for Dally, everything I do is for them. My friends, my family. I just wanted to have one more conversation with Johnny, I wanted to drive around with Dally once again. Just like old times.

I kicked a few rocks, which fell from the top of the bridge. I would do it, I would finally do it. It would all end as quick as a bullet.

I missed my parents, my brother, Johnny and Dally, and most importantly, I missed who I used to be, I missed the girl that always had a smile plastered on her glowing face, her hair pulled back into two pigtails. Where did she go?

She's dead, and so is the new me.

And with that, I jumped.