03 | flashbacks

Flashbacks

Third person

Third person

Even though it happened around a month ago, Ponyboy couldn't stop thinking about Johnny.

What if Johnny hadn't died, where would we be now? Ponyboy thought as he laid back on his back, hands behind his head.

What if I helped Johnny escape the church first? Where would I be? Ponyboy looked around the room, he wasn't looking for something. He just looked for Johnny, like he was still here.

He remembered the times when the whole gang was over and him and Johnny had been playing some board game in his room. But now Johnnys gone and he's never coming back.

Neither is Dally, for all Ponyboy would know he could be in the burning pits in hell right now.

With Pony's thoughts aside, Sodapop knew it was no use to try and find Dierdre, she didn't have a fair life whatsoever and this was being thrown at her now.

How unfair life could be.

The oldest Curtis brother wasn't thinking, he was reading the newspaper, to see if anything bad had happened.

Johnny and Dally weren't on the paper anymore, the heroine act didn't last long since two of them were dead and the other never left his house.

Everything was the same as it used to be in town, but it wasn't the same in the Curtis brothers house. It never would be.

Steve was out messing around and Soda hadn't come home yet, and Two-Bit was probably off drinking or fighting.

Darry knew that Two-Bit changed for worse, and there was no stopping him. The house wasn't loud anymore, it was quiet and boring.

Steve ran through the neighborhood, he didn't know where Heather was anymore, she had left awhile back.

He planned to find Sodapop somewhere, before it was too late. No matter how much he wished, he knew he couldn't stop Two-Bit, and he couldn't stop his true friend from crying herself to sleep.

He broke her heart and he never realized it until now, it's never gonna be the same again.
Soda sat on the curb, smoking a cigarette, he only did that to look cool and calm his nerves.

Steve almost tackled Soda to the ground, he never was so glad to see him then he was at that moment.

"I'm sorry." Steve said as he sat next to Soda on the curb. Soda stomped on his cigarette and looked at Steve.

"For what?"

"I know you loved Deirdre when we were younger and I still dated her." Steve let out a breath he didn't know he had been holding.

"How?" Soda exclaimed in shock, he never told anyone but his mom and dad, and they're both not here anymore.

"I always knew it, but I still dated her." Steve sighed.

"Oh." Soda lowered his head.

"I mean-you can get any girl you want, and she was my first love." Steve sniffed, he didn't want to but he was starting to cry.

"Don't cry, buddy." Soda wrapped his arm around his best friend, Steve never had girls doing things just for him like they did for Sodapop.

Steve always wanted to look like Soda, but he was just good ole Steve and he always would be.

The most euphoric thing that had ever happened to Steve was Deirdre, she made him feel a certain way, ecstatic maybe.

He didn't wanna admit it, but he was lost without his best friend. And he needed her more than he's ever needed anybody.

Deirdre

I didn't know what to think, except I wanted to move on from him as well. If he can move on in less then two weeks, then I will too.

I didn't know what I had planned on doing to move on, it's not so easy finding a lover as it may seem.

Shoot, it was luck that I even found Steve at all. But, what if it didn't have to be so hard? What if I went for his best friend?

No, that's mean.

So I don't care.