Thirty five

~ Reed

I'm waiting outside math class again.

And of course Annalise still isn't here.

She hasn't responded to my texts either since the last time I saw her, which was when she kicked me out through her bedroom window.

I gnaw on my bottom lip with my arms crossed against my chest.

When I glance down the hallway for the thousandth time, I internally groan when I see Liz.

"Hey Reed," she says with a grin.

I tightly smile back. "Sup."

"So-" She begins to talk, but I don't hear a word. I look over her shoulder for Annalise.

Where is she?

"Are you listening?" She looks annoyed when I finally shake my head and look back to her.

"Wait what?"

"I said are you going to the party Friday?" Her eyes search mine.

"What party?," I ask, but then realize I don't care. "No."

"It's at Matt's house. I'll drive you if you want. And maybe we can hang out-" Her words go over my head as I see Annalise pass her quietly to head into the classroom.

"Annalise-" I start to reach out for her but she keeps walking to her seat.

She keeps her head down and goes on her phone. Her face hidden.

Concern etches over my face. What was that?

"Seriously? I was in the middle of talking," Liz pipes up next to me.

I begin to walk into class, keeping my eyes on Annalise, even as I sit down.

"No thanks," I say rushed so she can stop talking.

She huffs out a breath and takes a seat. I should feel bad but all I can think about is the girl sitting in the back with her head down.

Is she mad at me?

Did I do something?

The bell rings and class begins.

She doesn't look up.

~

When the bell rings, signaling that class is over, I try to head over to Annalise, but Mrs. Dawson calls me over to her desk.

Annalise quickly gets up and doesn't meet my eyes as she walks away.

It's like she's pretending I'm not here.

Anxiety ticks up my spine.

Something's definitely wrong.

"Reed," Mrs. Dawson snaps at me.

I tug my bottom lip into my mouth as I stand in front of her desk, waiting for her to continue.

"Your grades have been pretty good lately. You're almost at a B."

A tiny smile pulls onto my lips. "Yeah, I got a tutor."

Thank you Annalise.

She crosses her hands over her desk. "Who?"

I glance back to the empty seat. "Annalise."

She hums. "Good choice. She's a smart one."

Pride swells in my chest and my lips tug up more involuntarily. "She really is," I respond hushed.

"At first I thought you must've been cheating because the change was a little...drastic. On your latest test you got a A. Good job." She nods.

My eyes widen and my mouth goes ajar. A 90?! Excitement fills me. I can't wait to tell Annalise this. "Thank you."